New Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer can't move files to external hard drive

Both my internal drives are full, so Ibought a 1,86 TB Hitachi Touro Desk USB drive to move non-essentialfiles to the drive and to make back-ups on. I'm not so happy with thedrive (it has no manual and if I had listened to Hitachi support Iwould have lost the files I had copied on the drive), but that'sanother issue.

I'll spare you the journey, but the situation is now the following :
    I have painstakingly moved for about 40 GB of space usage of video from drive D to drive G (the external drive and they seem to be accessible. I've tried to move a drive from the C-drive to G and abandoned the attempt.
    Explorer starts the move operation,which for some files slows down and I suspect even comes to a halt.In addition other other programs tend to become unresponsive,especially browsers. The computer therefore becomes practically unusable and eventually shutting down in less than half an hour also becomes impossible. In resource monitor the wait chain analysis of Internet Explorer and Firefox show the processes are waiting for an I/O operation.

So what I suspect is happening that Windows Explorer is using an I/O service to move that files and the I/O service fails. All programs that try to use that service then stall.

In Vista it was possible to recover from a malfunction of Explorer by ending the process in Task Manager and restarting it. In Windows 7 that doesn't work anymore because the restarted Explorer also malfunctions (by now I have gotten over the idea that Windows 7 is better than Vista). Canceling the move may restore Explorer if I am patient enough.

Does anyone know what is going on and how I could move files to G without having to wait much for my computer ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The Touro disk drives I see are USB 3.0 drives which should give you pretty good transfer speeds. However, the speed is limited to the PC side. If your PC does not have USB 3.0 ports the best you'll get is USB 2.0 which is significantly slower than 3.0. Your transfer speed is what it is. It will take however long it takes. You can speed up the process slightly by not having other applications running when you are doing the transfers especially programs that are more I/O dependent.

Also, I'd just move a file or two at a time. That way you'll get a break when set of files is complete.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    For clever file copying and moving, use TeraCopy. It's free, smart and behaves a lot better than Explorer. Try it.

Thanks
    I'll second Rui's suggestion of using TeraCopy. I use it as well and it makes a major difference with large files and network file copies.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2012-11-29 at 11:17.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The drive was malfunctioning. All the files I moved to it are lost. I sent the drive back to HGST and got the replacement drive last Friday. The replacement drive seems to be working.

TeraCopy wasn't doing much better as far as moving the files was concerned, but its problems did not propagate to the rest of the running programs like was the case with Explorer.