4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

InfoWorld: 52 percent of U.S. adults have never heard of Windows 8

Associated Press poll conducted late last week brings sobering surprises, none of which bode well for Windows in the enterprise
    This says a lot more about Microsoft marketing than it does about Windows 8.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...ndows-8-205890

Thanks
    Microsoft's marketing has always been lacking and the figures in the article don't surprise me.

Most Windows users are ignorant to the type of computer related issues that many of us here take for granted.

I would even go as far as to say that many of them would be far better off with a MAC. It would be a lot easier for them if everything was
    "controlled" for them, as opposed to having to set everything up and configure things.
    Most people don't want, or have any desire to be technically inclined when it comes to their computers. All they want to do is use it.

I think we're about due for a sizable shift away from Windows based computers in the near future, to at least 50% of market share.

For many of us here that are more technically inclined, Windows based computing is easy, and the lack of "Apple-like control" is a good thing.
    If this were not true then Linux would have taken off far more than it has.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    That statement means nothing if there is no context such as the percentage of U.S. adults that knew about other Windows releases at the same point in the release cycle.

Joe

Thanks
    One might ask why most of the citizens of the US actually need to know about Windows 8!
    For most of them, it's only going to hit them when they buy a new PC, laptop, tablet...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    So then approx. 150 million people in the US do know about Win 8. For just the US, that seems a pretty large number for just one country in this large world market.

See that, statistics can be interpreted any way the interpreter wishes!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I was in the Air Force, people said "10% never get the word", and it was pretty much true, but when 52% don't get the word, it is not unreasonable to comment on it.

Thanks
    It all relates to the 'Dumbing down of America'.
    I love it, but I also cringe, when Jay Leno goes Jaywalking. He goes out on the street and asks people simple questions, like who is the vice president. Some of the really stupid answers he gets are just a Riot!
    If something is not in a person's own private little world, they know nothing about it.

I get service calls from people who don't know the brand of their PC or what OS is on it. I have to play "20 Questions" with them to determine if they even have a Windows PC or something else.

So it surprises me NOT that a lot of folks have not even heard of Windows 8, regardless of the fact that it's been all over TV.

Happy Holidays, y'all !

Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    That's certainly true, and this is probably an utterly meaningless thread too when it's put that way.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-12-03 at 20:54.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I take this, like any other report using statistics, with a grain of salt. I'd be willing to bet that a fairly high percentage of US adults have not heard of the iPAD either, especially during its first year of prodcution. What percentage of the "US Adults" in this survey are persons over 60 that know nothing about technology, nor care to know? Statistics are a funny thing. They can be presented to emphasize whatever the presenter wants them to regardless of what they really mean when analysed. And consumers fall for it every time. That's why the media uses them so often in their "reporting".

"But almost all consumers -- and most members of the rank-and-file sales force -- are looking at alternatives. That doesn't bode well for Windows in the enterprise." Huh??? Where did that come from? This completely unsubstantiated statement well illustrates what I said about the media's use of statistics.

Some people just hate to admit that their predictions weren't accurate, and then look for every crumb to support thier position. Yea, Windows 8 isn't taking the world by storm. But its not dead or a failure either.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2012-12-03 at 12:29.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Like I have often said, statistics can be skewered any way you wish to. And who asked the 300 million people in the US if they have ever heard of Win 8? No one asked me or my wife or any of my kids or siblings. These small samplings that someone does can be skewered themselves by asking certain groups of people. I just do not believe any of these statistics. It is just way too early to say anything.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm has a confidence limit calculator. Here are the results I got with it for the survey in question, but it's a long time since I studied stats so if I entered or interpreted anything wrongly please put me right someone.
    Confidence level: 95%
    Sample size: 1,200
    Population: 300,000,000 (the adult population of the USA is lower than that figure but it doesn't affect the result)
    Percentage: 52%
    Confidence interval: 2.83

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The article says nothing about who the 1200 people are. I'll bet if those same 1200 people were asked what IOS is they would have no clue either. This is just another bogus set of statistics used to "prove" a point. People in any industry, particularly the so called experts, get lost in the industry and really have no clue about what people outside the industry know.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Joe,

I couldn't agree more! They are probably relying on consultants. Definition of a consultant: "Some one with a briefcase more than 50 miles from home" I have a better one but this is a Family Friendly Lounge.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    This says a lot more about Microsoft marketing than it does about Windows 8.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...ndows-8-205890
    Considering the infoworld article was published on October 29, based on a poll in the week before Windows 8 was released - and that during a presidential election campaign - the findings are pretty meaningless. As for the claim this doesn't "bode well for Windows in the enterprise", that's a fatuous statement if ever there was one. The only people that need to know about Windows 8 from an enterprise standpoint are corporate IT managers and the like. How many U.S. adults fall into that category?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Everyone talks about Adult US population, but many children, even pre-schooler's, use PCs daily. As has been stated previously by myself and others, statistics cab be skewered to "prove" any point the people asking the question wish to prove. If you actually believe most of these statistics at this early stage, you might want to check to see if the Wizard of Oz is outside your door.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted