Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

Prices for the Surface Pro

Microsoft has announced them : http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft...o-pricing.aspx

$899 - 64 GB SSD
    $999 - 128 GB SSD

Thanks
    It appears the prices, similarly to Surface RT, do not include the keyboards. That's too bad. At these prices you would think the keyboards would be included. I will be interested in looking at and trying a Surface Pro, but it will be a while before the finances will allow a purchase.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what I should be comparing these prices to, Ultra books, Midrange 13" laptops, net books or tablets. If I compare a Surface Pro to an Ultra book at the same price, I would rather have the Ultra book, if I compare it to anything else, the Surface Pro costs too much money.

I would compare it to a tablet, and it's too much money.

If I thought I needed the Windows 8 Pro operating system, I would get an Ultra book or mid range laptop, not a Surface.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I think it depends on each individual needs. If you want to be easily mobile (< 2 lbs.) with notebook power, HD display, expandability via USB, & connectability to an enterprise network then Surface Pro may be for you. If not, then another device will be what you should select.

The Surface line is meant to show what a top notch Windows tablet should be. It is not necessarily meant to be the cheapest device on the market. Microsoft could be like Amazon and treat the devices as a loss leader but has to be careful not to upset their OEM partners too much.

Joe

Thanks
    Just note that 64 or 128 gbytes isn't a lot of storage for a notebook. Its fine for a consumption device but there are cheaper alternatives for that.

Jerry

Thanks
    The good part I suppose is that Surface Pro will include USB3 ports to enable larger storage devices. Personally I also believe 128 Gb is the low end I would consider for a tablet/PC (I would consider Surface a similar to ultrabook with the keyboard) There will probably be alternatives at this price point with larger storage, but not at this size point. That's why I say the Surface Pro might very well be a good companion to our existing laptops.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    $1000 + is pretty pricey for a companion device.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    You should consider that many people are migrating to cloud storage so files are easily accesible from multiple devices. Then 64GB or 128GB is not so bad.

I think it is going to be a primary device for many who purchase it.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, I think some people (not me though) will use the cloud for copies of their data in the cloud for synchronization but will not use the cloud as primary storage.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Both the cost and the limited storage make them a bit less attractive to me. I bet this will cost around 1000 euros in Europe. My current laptop has 120 GB in use, so not even the higher storage would be enough. I would buy a Surface as a laptop replacement, that's the only way it would make sense to me.

Thanks
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft...o-pricing.aspx
    As long as these little Windows 8 Pro "tablet computers" aren't overburdened with a lot of 3rd party software, even 64 GB drive should be more than enough space.
    That is what these devices are aren't they, a full Windows 8 desktop OS on a tablet?
    After all, tablets aren't supposed to be storage devices of any kind. They're meant to be highly portable and usable.
    If they're used properly they might not be too bad, especially for Office on the go devices.
    Too bad they don't have built in 3G, it's an absolute must have that will have to be included at some point imo.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    3G absence can easily be overcome, IMO. You can use a mobile hotspot, which I find very practical.

Thanks
    Having to spend time looking for a wifi hot spot imo is a pain in the (you know what), when your on the road doing wider area traveling.
    That would be OK of airports and such, but I am vehicle dependent, and I don't want to have to go looking for a hotspot whenever I want to connect.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Joe, I think some people (not me though) will use the cloud for copies of their data in the cloud for synchronization but will not use the cloud as primary storage.

Jerry
    That is likely. Think of the usage situations. In those that require mobility the tablet will be just fine. If you are at home you can plug in a USB 3.0 HD for as much storage as you need. You can use a combination of device, cloud, & attached storage. Best of all worlds if you think it through. To each his own. If someone wants to remain in the big HD inside the device they'll be able to.

The Surface Pro device provides much flexibility. You can attach a large monitor, keyboard, & mouse for those times when you want it to act like a desktop or notebook. At times when those are impractical or not available you still have enough local storage and cloud storage to do what you need. Not to mention that at those mobile times you have touch and pen input.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Having to spend time looking for a wifi hot spot imo is a pain in the (you know what), when your on the road doing wider area traveling.
    That would be OK of airports and such, but I am vehicle dependent, and I don't want to have to go looking for a hotspot whenever I want to connect.
    I mean you can buy and use a mobile hotstop. Here they are selling multiple devices of the type and you can actually use the mobile network with the hotspot and share with several devices. I have one and it works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast