Thread: Print spooler ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Print spooler ?

Allo all.
    I run a G41 Thinkpad with XP Pro, actually, two of them. Great machines. I tried to print this morning and it said that the Print Spooler was missing. What ???
    I tried to find out what to feed it, no joy. I ended up doing a clone from #2 Thinkpad to #1 Thinkpad as the #2 is a twin and it ran any printer even on my LAN. Now the question : how can a print spooler just disappear ? I tried to Add a Printer.... same dialog saying the print spooler was missing.

Have a great day. JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Did you check the services on the machine to see if the print spooler was there? Is it set to start automatically? If it is not running, did you have trouble printing a document?

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Allo, Joe. Say, you are all over the place here. Good.

The print spooler was altogether missing, gone ! I did not look into the Registry to see if per chance there were remnants of it. I needed to print something and doing this clone was the most expeditious procedure, it worked !

When looking at the CP -> Printers, there was nothing, there used to be 5 of them, one on this machine and the rest on the LAN. I had the Add a Printer icon, I clicked on it and it spat in my face saying there is no Print Spooler. What could have removed it ?

Thanks again, as usual. Jean.

Thanks
    If Print Spooler is missing in Services, you can try the fix listed here for XP SP3:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...4-4cbd4e86be5b

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks a mega for this link. Did you read where I solved this funny problem by doing a clone-back ? It cured my problem even if I have no idea why the spooler went south. OK, it is winter here now !

I had a look at this above link and I had a notion to play around in the Registry, this would have done it. Jean.