Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Build Progress: SSD and HDD's

I wonder what you all make of this idea.-- I understand there are supposed to be both advantages and disadvantages to both SSD's and HDD's. I was reading something that intrigued and inspired me. Why not get the best of both drives? The idea here is to only install the OS to the SSD. Then install the software to the HDD, and even have a massive storage HDD.

I've really been lucky getting the deals. Here's what I'm getting. It's not too late to ship back if I'm messing up.

120 GB San Disk SSD - $100
    500 GB WD VelociRaptor (10,000 rpm's) - $85
    4 (yes,4) TB Hitachi HDD - $190

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think a lot of us are doing exactly that, although if you don't have enough room on a 120g for your software as well, I personally would opt for a bigger SSD.

Half a terabyte VelociRaptor for $85? That's great as long as it's not a refurb.

Finally a 4TB HDD; its huge, but its also not being conservative, which I would be; bleeding edge stuff for sensitive data personally makes be a bit nervous but as long as you have it backed up securely, it shouldn't be a critical issue.

Thanks
    Why not try installing the Crucial Adrenaline? http://www.crucial.com/store/ssc.aspx

It doesn't replace your hard drive, it works with it as a super fast intelligent buffer, dramatically speeding up your system.

You plug it in, and then you install the software. That's all there is to it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you kindly for your response F.U.N. downtown.

Here is the 4 TB Hitachi drive I oredered (price has jumped up considerably since then):
    HGST 4TB Deskstar 3.5" SATA III Internal Hard Drive
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=835056&is=REG

Out of 30 customer reviews, it received a 4.5/5 rating. I hear you about reliability. Seems like all too many folk are less pleased with established drives that have lower specs. But I sure have learned my lesson about multiple backups, and for me, even to avoid external drives.

Yes, the VelociRaptor was a Black Friday special from Newegg, and it is brand new, not refurbished.

May I ask why you would install your software to the SSD rather than the VelociRaptor if you were me? Thanks!
    ***Edit note: What I mean is that my understanding was that SSD's have greatly superior access times, whereas a VR would be faster for read/write, and hence better for say, video editing? Or, would I install the video software to the SSD and write to the VR, or perhaps another SSD? Phew, thanks!
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2012-11-30 at 17:42.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Why not try installing the Crucial Adrenaline? http://www.crucial.com/store/ssc.aspx

It doesn't replace your hard drive, it works with it as a super fast intelligent buffer, dramatically speeding up your system.

You plug it in, and then you install the software. That's all there is to it.
    That is a most fascinating idea, Mrjimphelps. First I've heard of that. Thanks a million for sharing that with me! I've got a lot to think about here, I see.

Thanks
    Make sure you partition that 4 Tb HD. There are some limitations on partition sizes. I believe something like 1.5 to 2 TB. I have read about this but do not have all the details.

This article has some info about Understanding the 2 TB limit.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    That is a most fascinating idea, Mrjimphelps. First I've heard of that. Thanks a million for sharing that with me! I've got a lot to think about here, I see.
    I have an eMachines Vista computer, maximum 2GB of RAM, on which I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

My computer is ok speed-wise, most of the time; but sometimes it is unbearably slow. Perhaps I'll get enough $ for Christmas to allow me to purchase a Crucial Adrenaline SSD Drive.

I have full confidence that this will take care of the slowness problem.

Additionally, I won't have the fear of the SSD failing and taking my data with it, because the data resides permanently on the hard drive, and only temporarily on the SSD.

And I don't have to go through the arduous task of reinstalling everything.

Besides, I don't even want to think about the cost of an SSD that is the same size as my hard drive.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Make sure you partition that 4 Tb HD. There are some limitations on partition sizes. I believe something like 1.5 to 2 TB. I have read about this but do not have all the details.

This article has some info about Understanding the 2 TB limit.
    Oh man..., Am I GLAD you came along, Ted! I was unaware of that. Will do for sure! Thank you!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an eMachines Vista computer, maximum 2GB of RAM, on which I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

My computer is ok speed-wise, most of the time; but sometimes it is unbearably slow. Perhaps I'll get enough $ for Christmas to allow me to purchase a Crucial Adrenaline SSD Drive.

Additionally, I won't have the fear of the SSD failing and taking my data with it, because the data resides permanently on the hard drive, and only temporarily on the SSD.

Besides, I don't even want to think about the cost of an SSD that is the same size as my hard drive.
    I can relate to you exactly with my old reliable HP. I remember when years ago I upgraded from a 5400 rpm hard drive to a 7200. Wow!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    I wonder what you all make of this idea.-- I understand there are supposed to be both advantages and disadvantages to both SSD's and HDD's. I was reading something that intrigued and inspired me. Why not get the best of both drives? The idea here is to only install the OS to the SSD. Then install the software to the HDD, and even have a massive storage HDD.

I've really been lucky getting the deals. Here's what I'm getting. It's not too late to ship back if I'm messing up.

120 GB San Disk SSD - $100
    500 GB WD VelociRaptor (10,000 rpm's) - $85
    4 (yes,4) TB Hitachi HDD - $190
    Having more than one internal hard drive is the way to go. You'll want your OS on the fastest drive for obvious reasons.
    I don't consider programs to be that important, especially if your have copies of them safely stored away, so I see
    no use in having them installed on another drive. If you want to put something on another drive, let it be your valuable data.

Set up your hardware to maximize it's speed and performance potential, but plan your software regimen to be easily backed up
    and recoverable in the shortest and most efficient order.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Having more than one internal hard drive is the way to go. You'll want your OS on the fastest drive for obvious reasons.
    I don't consider programs to be that important, especially if your have copies of them safely stored away, so I see
    no use in having them installed on another drive. If you want to put something on another drive, let it be your valuable data.

Set up your hardware to maximize it's speed and performance potential, but plan your software regimen to be easily backed up
    and recoverable in the shortest and most efficient order.
    Thanks, CLiNT, I'm starting to get greater clarity. First, here is what I done did. I changed my order from a 120 to a 240 San Disk Extreme SSD.
    SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-240G-G25
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    Getting it for $169.54, so I hope that's a good choice (?)

I plan on keeping one of the VR's and the 4TB Hitachi. My question now is do I capture and write my videos to the SSD or the VR? Whichever, eventually that data will make it's way to the other drives. Thanks!

Thanks

I think perhaps you Ram amount will also help with your speed. 2 Gb is not a lot Win 7 32 Bit will recognize up to about 3.5 Gb Ram.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My question now is do I capture and write my videos to the SSD or the VR?
    The VR would probably be ideal. Just an ordinary drive should be more than sufficient for live capture, I capture gaming video at 1920x1080 with FRAPS on a 7200RPM. Reading the subsequent file for video editing might get a little boost though if I were using a faster drive.

If the videos are huge (FRAPS can go 100 gigs in less than an hour!) you won't have room for them on the SSD, but if it's sufficiently roomy, I think they are the perfect spot for the index and and any proxy video files that a video editor produces; one just has to remember to flush those files when finished with the project or they will soon fill up the SSD's free space.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    The VR would probably be ideal. Just an ordinary drive should be more than sufficient for live capture, I capture gaming video at 1920x1080 with FRAPS on a 7200RPM. Reading the subsequent file for video editing might get a little boost though if I were using a faster drive.

If the videos are huge (FRAPS can go 100 gigs in less than an hour!) you won't have room for them on the SSD, but if it's sufficiently roomy, I think they are the perfect spot for the index and and any proxy video files that a video editor produces; one just has to remember to flush those files when finished with the project or they will soon fill up the SSD's free space.
    Smokes!-- Talk about putting a system through its paces. That makes the old avi's from camcorders sound like child's play. I also have some 1080i I need to deinterlace, via bob style I'm thinking, so that should generate some big files too. All of a sudden, TB drives don't sound that awesome to me anymore. Thanks for helping me gain more clarity!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I think perhaps you Ram amount will also help with your speed. 2 Gb is not a lot Win 7 32 Bit will recognize up to about 3.5 Gb Ram.
    My computer won't allow for more memory than 2GB, or else I'd put more.

Perhaps there is a PCI memory card that I can install, giving the machine more than 2GB of memory. That alone would probably fix my slowness problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast