Thanks

Exclamation Microsoft Security Essentials loses AV-TEST certification

O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

mart44
    I've never seen the attaction of MSE (apart from it being free). Detection rates have never been that good according to the comparison charts I've seen. There was a time when the words 'Security' and 'Microsoft' used together would have at least caused a raised eyebrow. I suppose things change.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very surprising to me. I recieve a CNET newsletter and they had a pretty brutal thread about MSE. Time to rethink this Anti Virus. Here's what they said:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-575...757&s_cid=e757

Thanks

MSE Loses Certification

This isn't the first time Microsoft Security Essentials has lost its AV-Test seal of approval. In September 2010 the
    antivirus software failed to gain an AV-Test seal of approval. By December 2010, however, Microsoft overhauled Security
    Essentials, releasing version 2, which offered a better heuristic scanning engine, integration with Windows Firewall, and
    network traffic inspection for Windows Vista and 7 systems.
    -- Information Week's version of the original article --

I think this is more telling than a screaming headline which fails to be backed by even one report of widespread consumer
    complaints about MSE failures to protect their Windows computers, especially Windows 8, where the operating system itself
    has a few security advantages not built into previous Windows versions. (Sandboxing of Metro Apps and IE 10 plugins, more granular permissions, etc.) Still, Microsoft appears to be falling behind the curve, and this is troubling.

Then again, note well:
    Avast! is the first free antivirus software to be offered in the Windows [App Marketplace] store after being tested and
    passing the rigorous requirements for Microsoft Windows 8 operating system compatibility. Avast! Free Antivirus earned the
    coveted compatibility certification and the right to display the “Windows 8 Compatible” logo.
    Yes, it's a marketing blurb, but one worth noting, I think.

Apparently, those pesky Avast/Windows 8 "System Kernel Security" error messages followed by total system lockup in Windows
    8 RP have been addressed by Avast.

Lounge members -- please post pro or con: Is Avast Free from the Windows Marketplace ready now for Windows 8 Pro? Does it have issues?
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-12-05 at 11:52.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    In reality these results vary from quarter to quarter and also amongst differing reviewers.
    There are a set of brands that try to, and are successful at maintaining top spots, but none is 100% infallible.
    The trick is to find one that works for you, especially if you are prone to higher infection rates through ignorance or behavior.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

mart44
    I think the trouble is that, even if a person is careful with their Internet behaviour and browsing, they still could be caught. It isn't always possible to know where the next link will lead. This article is one that raises my worries:

http://www.stopthehacker.com/2012/05.../#.UMBCRYPB6Rs (link OK in WOT)

So I always go for security programs that consistently top most comparison charts. MSE has never done that in the ones I've look at. I know this can be offset by having other layers of security. I too have a number of layers but want each one to be the best even so ..just in case. I think this is better than letting other layers support a layer that isn't as good as it might be.

I'm a Sandboxie user and in theory, no signature/heuristic-based program should be necessary. However, if something were to bypass the sandbox, I want a an AV program to tell me about it. I feel the better rated ones will stand more chance of doing that.

Thanks
    It seems every few weeks another review comes out about anti virus software.

Like mart, I use Sandboxie but most for google searches where I may visit unfamiliar search result sites..

The only way to really be safe is as soon as you get your computer, put it on your desk and NEVER turn it on...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    If I changed my programs, just because someone said that a particular program was no good, I would never get any computing done. I read these articles, but always have a salt shaker near by! I agree banyarola....
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Well, t8, you are absolutely right.

While these various reviews are worth reading nothing has yet replaced the best ant virus program yet....YOU BRAIN...

Some people think that if they use a virus program they are 100% protected and surf the web without a care in the world...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post

Lounge members -- please post pro or con: Is Avast Free from the Windows Marketplace ready now for Windows 8 Pro? Does it have issues?
    Read this Bob. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=108170.0

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Thanks. I've read that, plus the press release I posted earlier. They are essentially the same document. Not enough Replies over there to allow me to get a feel for the general picture yet. I'm looking for more folks who have actually been using Avast in Windows 8 and can report their own experiences. I like to let others be the Test Cases!
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Thanks. I've read that, plus the press release I posted earlier. They are essentially the same document. Not enough Replies over there to allow me to get a feel for the general picture yet. I'm looking for more folks who have actually been using Avast in Windows 8 and can report their own experiences. I like to let others be the Test Cases!
    It might be that users are more intent in getting Win8 to work rather than getting things to work in Win8. I am not one of the few who will be getting Win8.

Thanks
    Avast has been of particular interest because this free AV program was under Windows 7 one of the highest-rated and most-downloaded.

As far as things working in Windows 8, my recent experience convinces me that users need to be very selective about what they upgrade (hardware). Make sure Windows 8 drivers are available at the very least.

Converting (upgrading) non-touch laptops and desktops seems to offer the most disappointments in my reading and conversations with users. Without multitouch built in, most computers will not be able to get productive use out of the Metro side of Windows 8. But without a Mouse and keyboard, the traditional desktop in Windows 8 is nearly as useless as it would be in such circumstances under previous Windows versions.

And without well-tested drivers, nobody should feel very confident about upgrading. Even with my new Toshiba Windows 8 drivers, sometimes things do get a bit flaky -- nothing major so far.
    -- Bob Primak --