Lounger
    Thanks

How do I make a clone image of a hybrid drive?

I purchased an HP laptop, Windows 7, 64 bit which has a hybrid hard drive. I've tried all the common free cloning programs, Macrium Reflect, Paragon, Easeus, but none support hybrid drive that I can find. Before shelling out $$ for non-free cloning programs that may not work, does anyone know of a cloning program that will definitely work to clone the hybrid drives?

Doug

Thanks
    Did you try the trial version of Acronis True Image 2013? It appears in looking at the Acronis user forum that hybrid HDs are supported. Use the Free Trial button here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

The NC Doc (2012-12-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately the trial version doesn't include support for hybrid drives, only the purchased Plus Pack supports it. Has anyone purchased it and can say for sure that the drives are really supported? I've tried other programs that say they support all drives but didn't work. I don't want to purchase Acronis and find that it also doesn't work.

Doug

Lounger
    Thanks
    Not only would I have to buy the home version of True Image, I would also have to buy the add-on Plus Pack to get hybrid disk support at an additional $29.

Thanks
    I know, this may sound like a really dumb question, but......

Clone means copying one hard drive to another hard drive. I've done it a few hundred times myself.
    But in a laptop, where is the "TO" drive? Obviously the "From" drive would be your "C" drive. Eh?

Another dumb question:
    Are you running your cloning software from within Windows?
    Or did you make (and use) the bootable recovery CD so you're booting
    to DOS and bypassing Windows all together.
    That's my preferred method of backing up or cloning a hard drive.

Just curious

Dr Who
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-12-03 at 09:28.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    NC Doc,

The question you need to get answered for your drive is:
    Does the SSD portion act as permenant storage or just a cache for frequently used data?
    If it is only acting as a cache all of your data is on the rotating disks and that is all you have to image.
    I poked around on the Segate site since I was aware of their Momentus line of hybrid drives but could not, in the time I spent, come up with an answer to this question.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    A clone in this case is a single file which contains all the data on the hard drive so that in case of a failure of the drive, an exact image of the drive can be restores to another hard drive and it will be bootable. A simple copy cannot do this. The TO drive in my case is a USB connected hard drive used exclusively for making backups.
    Some cloning software will run from withing windows and others require a boot from a DVD or CD. Acronis, for example will run from within windows as do several other cloning software programs. The problem is that hybrid drives have an intermediary Solid State Drive (SSD) which contains some of the most used files for fast access and is dynamically changing as files are used.
    Since there is not a separate "drive" or drive letter for just the rotating part, it can't be cloned without the SSD drive being involved.

Hope this helped clear up the question I have.
    ======================================
    In answer to:
    I know, this may sound like a really dumb question, but......

Clone means copying one hard drive to another hard drive. I've done it a few hundred times myself.
    But in a laptop, where is the "TO" drive? Obviously the "From" drive would be your "C" drive. Eh?

Another dumb question:
    Are you running your cloning software from within Windows?
    Or did you make (and use) the bootable recovery CD so you're booting
    to DOS and bypassing Windows all together.
    That's my preferred method of backing up or cloning a hard drive.

Just curious

Dr Who

Lounger
    Thanks
    The hard drive is identified as "dynamic" so I'm assuming that the data moved to the SSD portion is not fixed. I can't see a way to clone just the rotating part. That, I think, is the problem with cloning programs that can't tell the difference either and don't support the hybrid drives.

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    NC Doc,

The question you need to get answered for your drive is:
    Does the SSD portion act as permenant storage or just a cache for frequently used data?
    If it is only acting as a cache all of your data is on the rotating disks and that is all you have to image.
    I poked around on the Segate site since I was aware of their Momentus line of hybrid drives but could not, in the time I spent, come up with an answer to this question.