Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Timmogen,

Thanks for the suggestion, and while I'm at it, welcome to the Lounge!

As noted in my previous post, I just ran a test with Write Caching disabled and I still had the problem, so I decided to run it your way with Write Caching enabled and see what happens. I took it off "Quick Removal" and instead clicked "Better Performance," but it threw up an error message when I tried to "Enable write caching," as shown below:

Write caching denied.png

Still, I backed up a second time with the HDD set on "Better Performance," then tried to SRH, but still no luck. W7 simply refused to let go of the HDD, so once again I had no choice but to shut the computer down, remove the HDD, then restart it.

Cheers,
    Al
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on desktop
    Windows XP/Media Edition, SP3 on Dell laptop
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, SP1 on HP Mini 5103
    Samsung Galaxy S2 running JB 4.1.2

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I just scanned back through the thread and may have missed it, but what software are you using for your backups?
    Hi, bbearren,

Thanks for your post. When I read it, I immediately checked in the Windows Task Manager for any traces of my backup software, EaseUS ToDo Backup 4.0, and sure enough, I found two EaseUS processes running! I got all excited, carefully terminated those processes, then tried to SRH on the 1TB HDD, but no luck; I still couldn't get W7 to let it go. What makes it odd is that I use EaseUS Backup on two other (XP) computers with the same 1TB USB external HDD and both XP machines work perfectly on SRH and let the HDD go.

Cheers,
    Al

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I just scanned back through the thread and may have missed it, but what software are you using for your backups?
    Is your sole means of "backup", copy & Paste through explorer, or is there some other software associated with one of the drives itself?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Is your sole means of "backup", copy & Paste through explorer, or is there some other software associated with one of the drives itself?
    As noted in my last post to bbearen, I'm using EaseUS ToDo Backup 4.0, but that backup program is not associated with any particular drive. It's a handy, fast, and efficient free backup program that even allows me to mount a drive image as a separate drive letter, and so far I've had nothing but excellent results with it, both on this W7 desktop and on two XP machines, one a desktop, the other a laptop.

Cheers,
    Al

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hold the presses! This just in:

I just tried plugging in the 1TB external USB HDD, but instead of backing up, I only did some file maintenance by deleting an old backup image. I then tried to SRH and Bingo, it worked! That tells me that W7 will indeed let this HDD go sometimes, but of course only accordingly to W7's own (unpublished and unknown) capricious rules. Perhaps W7 only likes small jobs and gets surly when it has to back up a whole hard drive; who knows?

Any further thoughts will be much appreciated. In the meantime, I'm just shutting down the computer to remove the HDD after I back up.

Cheers,
    Al

Thanks
    I have one last thing for you to try:

Open an elevated command prompt and paste "SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" without the quotes, hit enter.
    Then paste "devmgmt.msc" and hit enter.

When device manager comes up select "show hidden devices".

Look through your "disk drives" and "portable devices". Uninstall everything that is in gray. Reboot.

Ensure that none of your external drives are plugged in when doing any of the above.

Other than performing a SFC /SCANNOW, the only thing left is an OS level repair install or system wide clean install.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It may not be relevant to your problem, but I occasionally get the same response to SRH, so I first check that there are indeed no programs still accessing the device, then I right click it in Explorer and click on 'Eject'.

9 times out of 10 it works.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, A1ex,

Thanks for your suggestion. I needed to backup my computer again, so I gave it a try. When I finished the backup, I clicked on SRH, but of course W7 wouldn't let my 1TB HDD go, so I right clicked on that drive in Explorer, but found no "Eject" choice in the menu. Oh, well; needless to say, I shut down the computer and removed the HDD.

I appreciate the idea, but I wasn't able to get it to work. If I've messed up or misunderstood something, I hope someone will let me know.

Cheers,
    Al

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, All,

I just tried something different and it worked, at least this one time, so I wanted to post it in order to let others try it and see if it works for them too, or whether it was just a fluke.

I just did my weekly backup of my W7 machine to my 1TB USB HDD and routinely clicked on the Safely Remove Hardware (SRH) icon out of habit, not out of any real hope of it working, as it never had before. However, what I did this time that was different was to close all open Windows Explorer windows BEFORE opening SRH and clicking on the Mass Storage Device (my HDD), and much to my amazement W7 released the HDD perfectly. In the past, I'd always clicked on the Mass Storage Device in SRH, found it didn't work (as expected), THEN closed all open Windows Explorer windows and tried again, but that never worked either, so I'd have to shut the computer down, remove the HDD, then start it up again.

This is nothing but a SWAG, but I can't help wondering whether, by trying to release the HDD while there were Windows Explorer windows open, it caused W7 to somehow create a lock on the HDD that SRH thereafter couldn't break, even when the Windows Explorer windows had been closed. Then again, perhaps this was just a one-time fluke and will never work again, but if any of you give this a try, I'd be interested to know if anyone else has the same experience.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by HealingHands33; 2013-01-26 at 00:41.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123