Thanks

SkyDrive file sharing

I have a OneNote file that I open on my Desktop, and sync it from SkyDrive to my Windows Phone. I am using OneNote 2013. It has become apparent that I am going to need to share that file. While the normal send a link sharing would work and probably be ok, I know the user, and their computer and they themselves are about as disorganized as one can get. I have sent the links before, and they constantly lose them, so I just resend the link. They currently are not using OneNote 2013, but I can install it, so just have the version that is in SkyDrive.
    Thier computer will be on the same network as I am, and with that I am hoping for a suggestion.

thanks
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Create a group in Skydrive and make you and them members (you will be the owner). Then, share the OneNote document with the group. That way the group will always show on their skydrive, so they can just click it and see the files that have been shared with the group. They can simply right click any of the files and open then in the browser on in their local version of OneNote.

They will need a Microsoft account, of course, and that's the email address that you should use when you invite them to use the Group.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

t8ntlikly (2012-12-01)

Thanks
    ruirib,
    Thanks thats perfect. I had forgotten all about the group feature
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad I could help .

Thanks
    Ok,
    I shared the file that I wanted, and here is what happened.
    the user was using Office 2007 and when I shared the file with them with full editing they were able to open the file in SkyDrive, but unable to edit it. The file btw is a OneNote file. Thinking that maybe because they didn't have OneNote locally and that that was the cause, I installed Office 365 preview. No Joy! same problem. I then noticed (DUH!) the "Edit Document" dropdown, clicked and selected edit in browser. All is well. I noticed that I could then save the OneNote file to SkyDrive and did so. Now I don't know all the workings inside of SkyDrive, but it did save it, but it saved it as if it were saving it to my SkyDrive, and not his.
    While I was looking at that he opened SkyDrive on his Windows Phone, found the OneNote notebook, opened it and edited it w/o having to click on anything like we had to in the web app as mentioned above.
    Bottom line, is that it is set up so that he can edit the document as easily as I can (albeit from his phone) and it updates on my side (both phone and SkyDrive) upon refresh.
    There really is more to SkyDrive than meets the eye, and the more I play and use it the more I like it.! just my $.02 worth
    Thanks John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After reading here I gave Groups a try. But I see that after adding user 2 to the group, the group shows up in User 2's IE Skydrive page, but not in their Windows 8 Skydrive App. Any thoughts on that? Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    The SkyDrive apps do not show shared stuff by other users. I don't use them, I think they are 2nd rate.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib. I am repeatedly floored by how dumbed down the Win 8 apps are.

Administrator
    Thanks
    In this specific case, it's the app, actually, regardless of the OS. I don't like the Windows 7 version, either. I simply do not use it and one of the reasons is the lack of access to documents shared by others.

Thanks
    I'll take the other side of that coin ruirib...

While I don't feel that I am as well versed as some in here. I am learning my way around SkyDrive, and now that I have access to a second computer, I can learn my way around groups, without going long distance.

Most of the files and folders I work in, are located in the SkyDrive App, (Win7). There are short comings of course, but then is there anything that is perfect?

While it would be nice to be able to access "Groups" from the app, I for one don't feel slighted because I can't and because it isn't there I don't feel that I am using a "second rate" app. I can easily access it from within SkyDrive itself, as well as from SkyDrive on my phone. < Let me clarify that however. The files that I have uploaded to the group, are located in the "Recent" folder on my phone, but! (and I feel that this needs to be corrected) they, (the files that other members have added) are no where to be found using the SkyDrive app on my phone. I even went to the SkyDrive PC site on my phone, but again no joy. Lastly I found that while I can create a OneNote file within the group, I cannot for whatever reason share one there.

So, while there are some shortcoming, I don't feel that by any means that the SkyDrive app is a second rate app, as others have stated. Granted I have not used anything from Apple, nor have I used anything from Google, and they may be better, I don't know, and quite honestly don't care either. I'm not being close mined here it's just that I don't find any need for using Apple products and don't find anything that could compel me to. As far as Google stuff goes, I wouldn't touch anything from them with a ten foot pole, but that is just my opinion, and I don't put them down either to those that feel differently. They and Apple have their niches and following.

Sorry for the rant!
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    I tell you what the SkyDrive app should be: it should simply be LiveMesh or a multiplatform LiveMesh work-alike. They had it done before, but they just threw it away and come up with this subpar replacement.

IMO, any app that doesn't allow you free local disk mapping of selectable shared files, whether initially shared by you or by anyone else, prevents you from benefiting from all the good things that SkyDrive offers. So, IMHO, the SkyDrive app is subpar. Microsoft has done better in the past and it's telling that they cannot even meet the features they offered before.

Be sure that I am just comparing Microsoft with what Microsoft offered before, nothing else. I still run LiveMesh and will do it while I can. I really enjoy SkyDrive and the integration it offers with Office apps (which is even better with Office 2013), but I have refused to install the SkyDrive app in Windows 7 and Windows 8 (the desktop version), because I so strongly dislike it.

Thanks
    Ok, so at least now we get to the bottom of your meaning.....LOL Yea, I too miss LiveMesh, but it is what it is. It's gone and I've moved forward without it. Maybe one of these days MSFT will integrate it into SkyDrive. Who knows huh....
    Thanks John