Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows Backup cannot be found

The Win7 system repair disk can no longer find the system image backup (which I have restored several times previously from the same USB external hard drive). The image I need to restore is mission-critical. I cannot reinstall from scratch on this computer.

I am through using Win7 system image backup. It is too buggy, erratic, and error-prone. This is the first issue on which I have found myself in strong disagreement with Fred Langa about choice of software. BootIt NG worked fine in XP but has been discontinued and does not support Win7.

Are there any commercial imaging products that can restore an image created with Win7 system image backup?

Once I get this image restored, I will switch to another product, but for now I have to recover this perfectly valid image that the recovery disk cannot "see."
    Last edited by wu_saline; 2012-12-24 at 12:53. Reason: Moved into its own thread

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Acronis True Image has a Windows image backup file conversion feature, but I have never used it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    At section 8.11.2 of the Acronis user manual, it sez:

"You may have .vhd files if you used the Windows Backup utility included into Windows Vista and Windows 7 for backing up the system hard drive. If you purchased True Image 2013 after using Windows Vista or Windows 7 backup utility, you can recover your system hard drive from those .vhd files using True Image 2013."

Then it provides instructions for doing so. It looks like I'll have to try this route. I was not pleased with the version of Acronis I tried 4-5 years ago, but posts here make it sound as though the product is much improved. If I can recover the image, it will be worth the purchase price.
    Last edited by wu_saline; 2012-12-23 at 13:49.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Acronis True Image can be used in trial mode for 30 days, so you don't even need to buy it before you try restoring from your file. True Image has its own problems, but it is a reliable imaging app. I have used it for years with complete success.

Thanks
    I can attest that the Acronic True Image 2013 works very well for me. I have only been using it for Imaging and Restoration, but it has many other features available.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    I can report that Acronis True Image 2013 worked flawlessly. Steps:

1. Create bootable rescue media (user guide section 8.2)

2. Boot from rescue media and browse to location of MS .vhd file (user guide section 8.2.11). It only wants to see the .vhd file and does not care about MediaId or any of the extraneous .xml code created by the Microsoft system image backup.

3. Select desired .vhd file, choose restore location, and go.

I am back in business with the mission-critical image restored. Microsoft's crummy image restore tool cost me 6-8 hours of time trying to troubleshoot its failure and another US$40 to buy a functioning replacement.

Notes:

All I want is a robust disk imaging and restore tool. I am not interested in any of the additional backup features of Acronis, but they are there anyway.

Acronis sells an add-on called "Plus Pack." They are currently (12/24/2012) running a "Christmas special" with True Image and Plus Pack bundled together for US$40. The benefits of Plus Pack includes "universal restore" which (allegedly) permits restoration of an image to a different hardware environment. I did not use this feature and cannot comment on how well it works. Plus Pack also includes the ability to add the True Image 2013 plug-in to WinPE 1.5, 2.x, 3.0. (I tried and it does *not* work with WinPE 3.1, so do not install the WAIK supplement for Win7 SP1). I willl create a WinPE 3.0 disk with the True Image plug-in for future image restoration.

I bought and paid-for Acronis. It worked as advertised and solved my problem. I have not tried the disk imaging function yet. I am configuring a new computer with Win7 SP1 and will report back on how well imaging works once I have the new computer setup to my taste.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wu_saline For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2012-12-24)

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am glad that worked. That's another True Image feature that has been reported to be used successfully and that is always good to know.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I discovered one "gotcha" with Acronis that bears mentioning. By ignoring all of Microsoft's .xml code, it also ignores the size of the partition being restored. I partition my hard drive into a 75 GB drive for programs and a ~300 GB drive for data. The image was being restored to a blank hard drive that had been thoroughly scrubbed.

When I started to restore data, I discovered that Acronis had restored the 75 GB partition but used the entire hard drive. It was apparently ignorant of the size of the original partition, which was probably stored somewhere in the .xml code.

Fairly simple fix -- I used GParted to shrink the restored partition back to 75 GB and create the data partition in the empty space. (The diskmgmt.msc snap-in will also work, but I'm more comfortable with GParted.) This problem could be avoided by partitioning and formatting the hard drive before launching the restore in Acronis.

I wanted to document this issue in case someone else needs to know.

Thanks
    Another nice thing about Acronis True Image 2013 is that if you have multiple partitions on your drive, you can create an Image that includes all those partitions, and yet restore each partition separately.

For example I had Win 7, Win 8 RP and a data partition on my PC. I created an Image of the entire HD, then was able to choose to restore any one of the 3 partitions. So if Win 8 was axed , I could throw in my Acronis Rescue Disk, boot to Acronis and choose to restore just the Win 8 partition, leaving the other 2 partitions alone.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried creating my first image with Acronis today. Worked 2-3x faster than MS system image backup, created a single file about 1/3 smaller than the equivalent .vhd, and restored perfectly with the boot disk. The only other imaging tool with which I have experience is BootIt NG. I would say Acronis is light-years ahead of either product. Very smooth indeed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Now imagine that TI 2010 was about 50% faster! It really was .