New Lounger
    Thanks

"Stress Test" for Power Supply ???

I have a 3 (4??) year old desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium X64. Lately it's taken to randomly freezing, or randomly shutting down and restarting, or randomly popping up the "blue screen." It sometimes restarts normally, sometimes asks if I want safe mode or normal startup, sometimes says windows can't start and do I want to run startup repair. My local tech went through the computer pretty thoroughly and did not find any viruses, malware, but did find a couple of conflicting programs which he fixed. The computer runs better and faster but same issues still exist. He thinks it is possibly a power supply problem given the variety of issues and says he can run a "stress test" on the power supply to see if this is the problem. My question is, is the stress test something I can do myself, i.e. is there software to do this or how is it done? Any advice?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ronald11103; 2012-11-28 at 12:30.

Thanks
    Running a stress test on your PSU basically means putting a lot of load on it to see how it can handle it, and to see if you are coming up short
    in terms of voltages and current being delivered to your CPU, GPU, memory, and other components.

Using specific equipment and interpreting the results is an entirely different matter.

You should have your local tech do it for you.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/410

How To Test a Power Supply Using a Power Supply Tester
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhL-DMQ_QcM

Running FurMark and Prime 95 will crash your system if your PSU is bad.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-28 at 13:13.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Download and run speedfan, a program which will tell you if anything is overheating. You might have a bad video card or some other device, which you will know is bad because it is overheating.

My wife's computer had similar problems to what you described. I ran speedfan and found that her video card was hot enough to fry an egg on (literally). I replaced the video card, and all was well after that.

If your fan is running too much -- always runs fast -- that is another tip off that you have an overheating problem.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-11-28 at 13:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the speedy replies. The fan does not run excessively (or any different than before) but I will try speedfan just to eliminate those possibilities. The problem with taking the computer to my tech is that he is very busy, works on a first-in, first-out basis so my computer would be there a week to ten days.

Thanks
    Here's another app that is capable of detecting most thermo sensors and system voltages that I find useful.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald11103 View Post
    Thanks for the speedy replies. The fan does not run excessively (or any different than before) but I will try speedfan just to eliminate those possibilities. The problem with taking the computer to my tech is that he is very busy, works on a first-in, first-out basis so my computer would be there a week to ten days.
    Perhaps you can find another tech? I suspect that a lot of us would love to have some extra work. I myself would love to get some jobs on nights and weekends. I'm nowhere near Oregon, however!

Thanks
    I would also run a memory test. In Windows 7, click on the start orb and type memory.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the memory test, standard and expanded and no issues came up. I downloaded Speedfan but got LUA errors when trying to install it. Had for force-close the program to get out of it and restart the computer. However, cNet (from where I downloaded the program) said I probably would not understand the results anyway as I am not a computer tech expert.

I also downloaded HWmonitor-pro from the link provided by CLiNT (or thought I did) but when I installed it and ran it the program was identified as "RegClean Pro." It found 304 errors but I didn't fix them (yet) as I get nervous when the program name is different than what I expected. Also, it's a registry program, not the thermo system checker CLiNT specified. I went back to the CPUID page and saw I clicked the wrong download button. I downloaded the correct program and will run it. In the meantime, anyone have experience/recommendations on RegClean? To clean the errors, I have to buy the program for $15. Is it worth it?
    Last edited by ronald11103; 2012-11-29 at 15:28.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Ronald,

I don't know how you got RegClean Pro from Clint's link, but it's certainly the wrong program; you want HD Monitor Pro from CPUID, which is free. If you want a registry cleaner (opinions as to their usefulness & risk vary), I would use the registry cleaning tools in CCleaner (free) or jv16PowerTools (paid, but worth it, IMHO). There's also a free jv16PT lite program.

The best part of the RegClean Pro ("buy it to fix the problems") is that there are a whole bunch of "buy this program to remove RegClean Pro from your computer" programs listed on the net.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got RegClean Pro from the link at the top of the CPUID page. The link for HW Monitor was over on the right side of the page. Having to buy a program to remove RegClean Pro doesn't strike me as the " best part of the RegClean Pro"! (Unless the program is truly bad!?) I generally use registry cleaners in CCleaner and Glary Utilities. I ran those and found only a few minor issues, mostly leftover crap from uninstalled programs.

I did get HW Monitor and the results are below. I have no idea if the temperatures are high, low, or OK. What does strike me odd are the -12V and -5V readings. I don't know it there is a problem with my power supply or if the HW Monitor default labels are incorrect!

Thanks
    I hate to say it but if you regularly use a registry cleaner, that could be the source of your problems. You really have to know what you are doing when you use them. Try running SFC /scannow from an elevated command prompt to verify the integrity of the system files.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ran SFC /scannow and no issues were found.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    The best part of the RegClean Pro ("buy it to fix the problems") is that there are a whole bunch of "buy this program to remove RegClean Pro from your computer" programs listed on the net.
    That was irony.

Zig

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes the simple answer is "it's broke and can't be fixed", time to get something else. Motherboards fry and die at some point and video cards can't keep up and RAM just can't take it anymore. I agree that a lot of software "fix it tools" require that you really know what you're doing. I used registry cleaners over the years and you CAN get into trouble with them. They sometimes "do things" to your set up. I use Iolo products and they have an annual subscription but I read the specs VERY closely to see what I'm getting. PC Tools is a magical brand name but it isn't the same company that was around years ago. Avanquest system and fix it tools are "ok" but they have an annual subscription fee. If you have a complex almost gamer quality set up with multiple hard drives and the like, these products might... might... be worth it but for ordinary users, the usually Windows tools usually work.

Random reboots may be a power supply issue or it can be a motherboard issue or outdated BIOS. Usually if the box starts up, it will run unless there is a killer malware installed (the web "buy me" products may not work). If you are loosing power you may have a cable or connector issue. USB connections WILL fail and those little square plugs in them will come loose. Make sure everything is tight enough. It will surprise you (it does me) how many problems come from a loose or bad cable.

Your tech may or may not be able to fix the issue. A dying motherboard can't be fixed reliably (been there). A dead hard drive is usually a total loss but easily replaced