New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to partition new laptop

I tried to partition my new laptop drive with MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition. It is a Samsung (750 drive) with all the Samsung type apps and I was immediately put into restore mode which put the computer back to default settings.
    Is there a way around this or am I better off using Disk Management or is the Samsung propriety OEM preventing partitioning ?
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-12-01 at 11:46. Reason: Moved here, from hardware forum

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge,

Can you please describe exactly what happened? It would also be relevant to know the operating system is being used.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it the OS (C: ) drive you tried to partition?
    If so you need to make the boot disk using MTPW then boot with the disk as you cannot resize easily the OS disk when it is active and running.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I was able to easily resize my C Drive (make it smaller) with Partition Wizard. I opened Partition Wizard, Selected my C Drive, chose Move/Resize then grabbed the Right edge and dragged it left.

If I wanted to created unallocated space on the front end of a partition I would drag the left edge to the right, but this operation can only be done after the PC reboots. When you choose Apply, it will reboot, change the partition size and move the data from the old partition into the new smaller partition.

Partition Wizard.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

aradlaw (2012-12-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge,

Can you please describe exactly what happened? It would also be relevant to know the operating system is being used.
    Oh sorry, Samsung OEM Win 8. I selected the C: drive to be partitioned into drives D: & E: (approx. all the same size) When I hit apply I got the Samsung window to restore.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the screenshot Medico. I've done what you indicate, but I get a C drive is running message. When I reboot the computer I got a "Error occurred & needs to reboot". Then "Preparing Automatic Repair" and "Windows could not load correctly" Then the computer goes through a lengthy period of drive activity which I guess is the restore procedure.

Thanks
    I do not know what might be happening. Perhaps Samsung has some kind of proprietary stuff blocking the repartitioning. I have never heard of that. Partition Wizard has NEVER let me down with my partitioning needs, including resizing the C Drive from within Windows. I have both made the C Drive smaller, and made it bigger combining partitions, doing away with dual boots, just all sorts of partitioning chores and never a hiccup.

I might try to uninstall/reinstall Partition Wizard again just on the off chance it did not install properly.

Have you tried the suggestion of creating the boot disk and doing the partitioning outside of Windows. Before doing this be sure to create an Image of your system in case something goes wrong.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    I would try Disk Management instead, just for the sake of it. I would image the computer, before, though, just to be on the safe side.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

aradlaw (2012-12-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your help everyone
    I tried Disk Management and now have the two new partitions I was after.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you sorted it .

Thanks
    This may be one more example of how third-party software (even OEM included in Win 8 devices) is not always up to speed with Windows 8. The native Disk Management Tools inside of Windows 8 may work better for the time being. This sort of thing also applies to system cleanup, Registry cleaning and maintenance tools. Even some third-party backup and recovery software isn't quite ready for Windows 8 yet. Sticking with the built-in Win 8 tools when possible seems to be the safest way to go at this point.

I have had success using Acronis Disk Director 11 with Windows 8. I usually run any repartitioning operations from the bootable CD, as the C: Windows Partition in particular is sensitive to the effects of running any partitioning utility from within Windows (not unique to Windows 8). Depending on the manufacturer, there may be computers or configurations where ADD will not work well.

I have also had success using Macrium Reflect V Free with its WinPE Rescue Media CD as a backup and recovery program for Windows 8. (This is not the standard Macrium Free Rescue Media CD, which is Linux based.)

Bear in mind, I am using an existing, originally Windows 7, Toshiba Satellite laptop. This laptop does not support Safe Boot technology. Also bear in mind there may be differences between 64-bit Windows 8 Pro and the Standard Edition or the 32-bit editions.

Windows 8 compatibility will improve, just be patient.

And don't get me started about issues with third-party security software in Windows 8! Those issues are a whole new Thread.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-12-06 at 13:22.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Partition Wizard is working fine in my Win 8 Pro installation. I have no idea what could be happening with the OP's OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Me neither. I don't use this tool.

Update (Dec. 13, 2012):

I downloaded and burned the Partition Wizard CD. It looks as capable as Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director. This program has just made it into my standing library of Windows tools. I see no reason why Partition Wizard should fail to work with Windows 8, if Windows is properly installed on eligible hardware with proper licensing.

Partitioning and formatting are not OS dependent in the sense that an OS version upgrade would affect the partitioning scheme or the file system structures. So what works with Windows 7 should be just as valid for Windows 8 with these programs -- as long as you are running the programs from CDs or DVDs, and not from within Windows 8.

Perhaps the OP's BIOS supports SafeBoot, and this was not disabled before rearranging the partitions?
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-12-13 at 03:56.
    -- Bob Primak --