Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ran sfc /verifyonly as suggested. It did not find any errors.

New Lounger
    Thanks

PSU fault?

It may seem a bit off the wall, but I had a similar problem with an XP PC that was caused by a faulty PSU: the load of the DVD drive caused the power rail to go out of spec and the PC rebooted. The problem was pretty random but replacing the PSU fixed it.
    HTH
    Ken.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Does your BIOS let you see power supply voltages?

In accordance with the idea that the rebooting might be due to a weak power supply,
    it might be interesting to see how your internal voltages change under load.
    Some BIOSes have facilities to show internal coltages.
    There are free utilities that can do that for you too within Windows.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like I have a problem. I installed PC Wizard and it reports only 8.87 V for the 12 V supply. Do you think that this could cause the reboots. Here is a srceenshot.

voltage screenshot.PNG

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Power Supply

Sounds like you have a defective power supply. I have seen a computer that worked fine until the CD/DVD drive was used, at which point it randomly rebooted. I suspect that the power supply can't take the extra load, and the voltage drops even lower at which point the system just dies. Then since the system has died, the CD drive is no longer in use and the available power increases slightly just enough to make the computer work again and the system reboots.

8V instead of 12V is very low although these figures should normally be taken with a pinch of salt. It could be that when it reports 8.8V it's actually close to 10V which would explain exactly what you're seeing - the power supply is normally providing the minimum amount of power the computer needs to function. See if you can find another power supply to test with before going ahead and buying a replacement.
    Last edited by ec5772; 2013-05-17 at 07:29. Reason: clarification

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12