New Lounger
    Thanks

Internet traffic generated by Windows 7

My Internet connection is by satelite. I notice that without any action by me on my computer, 78 MB traffic per day is generated.

SKYdsl tells me that the Viasat Surfbeam2 modem does not generate traffic by itself.
    Netgear tells me that their router does not generate any Internet traffic by itself.
    So only Windows can bring this about.

Which services do this, and can this traffic be decreased? The only internet user was Internet Explorer with an internal screen opened.

Harm

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Harm,

This is most likely due to programs you have installed on your computer that phone home every time the system is restarted or on a certain schedule. Likely canidates, Any Adobe web product, Java, SkyDrive or similar cloud storage service. Of course every email you download or web page you view it all adds up. You can control some of it by turning off the Updater services for many products the program I use to accomplish is SysInternals AutoRuns and it's free and included in the SysInternals Suite with many other very useful programs. You can also peruse the Task Scheduler for programs that are triggered from there on a regular basis. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

harmwil (2013-05-17)

Thanks
    Haven't used it myself but perhaps this utility can be of some use:
    http://lifehacker.com/5898632/netspe...orts-on-demand

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

harmwil (2013-05-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek,

Thank you for your suggestion; I installed Autoruns and was overwhelmed by the available Information.
    I need time to get to use it. Still 78 MB and constant traffic is more than I expected.

jwitalka

The Utility gives especially information on the connections made.
    I'll try to find out about some unexpected internet adresses.

You both have given me new handels to work my problems out; thanks thanks.

Harm

Thanks
    The cynical part of me says that your internet service is generating some traffic in order to generate money for themselves. You could test this as follows:

Disable your internet connection in your firewall whenever you're not actually using the computer. Enable it when you need to, disable it otherwise. Either that, or unplug the ethernet cable from your computer when the connection is not needed.

If you still get the constant traffic, it has to be the internet service doing it; you will have eliminated every other possibility.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

harmwil (2013-05-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harmwil View Post
    Retired Geek,

Thank you for your suggestion; I installed Autoruns and was overwhelmed by the available Information.
    I need time to get to use it. Still 78 MB and constant traffic is more than I expected.

jwitalka

The Utility gives especially information on the connections made.
    I'll try to find out about some unexpected internet adresses.

You both have given me new handels to work my problems out; thanks thanks.

Harm
    For your immediate needs using Autoruns just look at the Login tab. Something there is the most likely culprit. If you are not sure of what some of the items do, post a screenshot and someone here will be glad to help.

Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

harmwil (2013-05-17)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    tbbMeter can also give details of what is using your internet connection.

This thread gives some ideas on what it can do and it's limitations.

The above links are to Thinkbroadband.com, a well respected UK broadband information site.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

harmwil (2013-05-17)

Thanks
    The operating system itself will generate a small amount of traffic with WU and other services monitoring
    and listening, but 78 MB per day is a bit much. It will NOT be the OS itself doing this.

Your software choices and how they are configured will have the biggest impact on network traffic.
    (Your software choices will include your sat access application, if any).

If you don't know what apps on your computer are utilizing the connection, then you'll have your work cut out for you
    trying to figure out what they are and how to control them. Take your time and get familiar with Autoruns.
    Then take the time to go through every single application to learn exactly what they are doing in terms of internet access.
    Quite often they can be controlled to have their internet access minimized, if not, alternative should be sought.
    Along with Autoruns, I recommend TCPView v3.05 as well.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

harmwil (2013-05-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're overwhelmed by Autoruns, you might not like this suggestion.
    You could install WireShark or Microsoft Network Monitor and watch the traffic. Both will record it all day and let you view it after the fact.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to riffraff For This Useful Post:

harmwil (2013-05-17)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The cynical part of me says that your internet service is generating some traffic in order to generate money for themselves. You could test this as follows:

Disable your internet connection in your firewall whenever you're not actually using the computer. Enable it when you need to, disable it otherwise. Either that, or unplug the ethernet cable from your computer when the connection is not needed.

If you still get the constant traffic, it has to be the internet service doing it; you will have eliminated every other possibility.

What I should have said was to unplug the ethernet cable from your modem, not from your computer. By doing this, you will eliminate everything except the modem; if you still get all of the traffic, it has to be your internet service provider, i.e., your modem.

Some legitimate activity which can cause internet traffic:
    * Automatic updates -- Windows and other software
    * Cloud activity -- if you are a member of a cloud network, such as Dropbox, someone on the network may be adding something to their cloud drive, which will push it to your computer.
    * Automatic backups -- if you have something like Mozy or Carbonite, there may be some backup activity going on.

It's also possible that you have some spyware on your computer which is phoning home.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

harmwil (2013-05-17)

Thanks
    What I should have said was to unplug the ethernet cable from your modem, not from your computer. By doing this, you will eliminate everything except the modem; if you still get all of the traffic, it has to be your internet service provider, i.e., your modem.
    No it doesn't. Unplugging the cable from the modem stops all internet traffic from both the PC and the ISP.

Jerry

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

harmwil (2013-05-17)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    No it doesn't. Unplugging the cable from the modem stops all internet traffic from both the PC and the ISP.

Jerry
    I kindof figured that since his modem will still be communicating with the satellite, there may be some traffic generated there. And with the ethernet cable unplugged from the modem, it won't be possible for there to be any other traffic.

Of course, his modem will still need to be connected to the satellite dish.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

harmwil (2013-05-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Readers,

I have found two culprits and have eliminated them. Now the traffic generated is acceptable.
    It turned out that programs I had installed were constantly "phoning home".
    It are programs I installed and hardly ever used; for instance AI Suite II of ASUS.
    Now I have used autoruns to block their automatic start; I can easily start the programs from my desktop WHEN I NEED THEM.

Thanks for the good suggestions and your thinking along with my troubles.

Regards,

Harm

Thanks
    That's great that you were able to solve this!

It's always a good feeling when you resolve one of these persistent issues.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't see these listed yet:

If you have a version of Windows with Media Center it may be downloading television guide data.

Many Desktop Gadgets use or 'ping' the internet.

A tiny bit is generated whenever Windows synchronizes your system clock.

Windows 7/8 Themes with Dynamic in their names (Aqua Dynamic; downloaded off legitimate M$ site) download the wallpaper off the internet. It can be the cause of seemingly sporadic internet traffic as it downloads a brand new wallpaper (upto 2 megs! in my experience)

Added this mainly for future searchers, since you have solved your issue.