Thread: Another BSOD

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Another BSOD

Thanks Roderunner, I downloaded the Whocrashed program as your PDF suggested and this in turn led me to find Microsoft has produces a Hotifx for my particular BSOD symptom
    which is STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x807c8750, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Whocrashed says:

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

fdcbnt.sys (Filter Device, Silence of Troubles United Company Ltd.)
    ntkrpamp.exe

Neither of these appear to be actually on my system anywhere but a forum post about this file 'ntkrpamp.exe'
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...xe-628408.html
    in turn led to an index of BSOD messages... and there to Microsoft where the above STOP error message for Win 7 Service Pack 1 has an entry offering the hotfix. Phew!

The hotfix has been downloaded, and I'm about to apply it. Will come back & report findings ....

[UPDATE]

Well a big waste of time that was. The Windows Updates Standalone installer ran & I got the message "Doesn't apply to your computer"

Other searches about the fdcbnt.sys almost always lead to spamware "windows optimiser" programs... I also tried TuneUp 2013 and this has done all sorts of stuff, but I still get my random BSOD.

Sometimes I can work for 6 hours, sometimes 10 minutes, but the BSOD always happens ...

I've also downloaded the specific Windows 7 Debugger application which confused me with installing Symbol file paths and the following 'detailed' analysis:
    UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)
    This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
    that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
    is always instant death (double fault). The first number in the
    bugcheck params is the number of the trap (8 = double fault, etc)
    Consult an Intel x86 family manual to learn more about what these
    traps are. Here is a *portion* of those codes:
    If kv shows a taskGate
    use .tss on the part before the colon, then kv.
    Else if kv shows a trapframe
    use .trap on that value
    Else
    .trap on the appropriate frame will show where the trap was taken
    (on x86, this will be the ebp that goes with the procedure KiTrap)
    Endif
    kb will then show the corrected stack.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00000008, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT
    Arg2: 801df000
    Arg3: 00000000
    Arg4: 00000000

I'm beginning to lose faith in finding an answer... any help gratefully accepted :-)
    Last edited by Joffaboy; 2013-05-16 at 02:20.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Consistent BSODs can be caused by overheating. Do yours always happen after some time has passed? If so, can you check the interior system temp, and the CPU and HDD temps? Anyway take the cover off, use a can of compressed gas to blow all the dust out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

Joffaboy (2013-05-16)

Thanks
    One utility which allows you to look inside BSOD dump files is NirSoft BlueScreenView . This won't analyze the cause, but it allows some insights as to what is happening.

Driver issues can at least be looked into with the free scan module of DriverMax . I wouldn't take all their suggestions as gospel, but if anything looks really out of date, you might check it out. Two driver downloads per day are free, and you can back up, roll back and restore any and all drivers changed by DriverMax operations.
    -- Bob Primak --

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

Joffaboy (2013-05-16)

Thanks
    Hi Joffaboy.

Your 'fix' could be as simple as uninstall or update Easy File and Folder Protector (fdcbnt.sys) or it could be much more complex:

STOP 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    Usual causes: Memory corruption, Hardware (memory in particular), Overclocking failure, Installing a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or a failure after installing it, 3rd party firewall, Device drivers, SCSI/network/BIOS updates needed, Improperly seated cards, Incompatible storage devices, Overclocking, Virus scanner, Backup tool, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack.

0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:

A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault. If you think this overview has occurred, use !thread to determine the stack limits, and then use kb (Display Stack Backtrace) with a large parameter (for example, kb 100) to display the full stack.
    A hardware problem.
    First, try uninstalling or updating the Easy File and Folder Protector software.

Then carefully read and then follow the BSOD Sticky here: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod...8-7-vista.html once you've collected the data and zipped the required folder, you can attach it to a reply. That will give us some solid data to work with and check if there are other problems that may be causing your crashes.