Lounger
    Thanks

Question Remote desktop to a second system

I am currently using Remote Desktop (RDC) to connect to a WinXP system in my office; I enter the office IP address and am able to connect without a problem. I have just added a new Win7Pro 64-bit system to the network which will eventually replace the XP system. I want to be able to access it via RDC while also still being able to access the XP system. What are the settings I need for the Win7 system to enable me to access it via RDP? Are there any settings necessary on the router for this? Is it possible to name each system so that I can access each by name, or do I need to specify the IP address and some other parameter like a port number? (I am in a workgroup environment, not a domain.) If I need to provide any additional information, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Look into installing Logmein or Teamviewer . Both are easier to use than RDP.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    I prefer RDP to either LogMeIn or TeamViewer, primarily because of the screen-handling of RDP. So that answer doesn't help much. And I need some additional assistance rather than a generic article, since I have one system (XP) already accessible via RDP, but am not sure how to make available a second system (Win7). When I enter the IP address at home, the only system that I can connect to is the original XP system. How do I get to the Win7 system?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geistman View Post
    And I need some additional assistance rather than a generic article, since I have one system (XP) already accessible via RDP, but am not sure how to make available a second system (Win7).
    It wasn't a generic article, but specifically for Windows 7.

You asked, "What are the settings I need for the Win7 system to enable me to access it via RDP?". The linked article provides those needed settings.

How do I get to the Win7 system?
    Follow the steps provided by Microsoft in the linked article.

Or this simpler 10-step version of the same: How to Remotely Access a Computer With Windows 7

Bruce

P.S. Are the XP and Windows 7 computers currently both using the same IP address? If so, I think that's going to make things difficult if not impossible.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-12-03 at 14:40.

Thanks
    I prefer RDP to either LogMeIn or TeamViewer, primarily because of the screen-handling of RDP. So that answer doesn't help much. And I need some additional assistance rather than a generic article, since I have one system (XP) already accessible via RDP, but am not sure how to make available a second system (Win7). When I enter the IP address at home, the only system that I can connect to is the original XP system. How do I get to the Win7 system?
    This doesn't answer your question, but I thought of it when you mentioned that you are able to do RDP with an XP machine, but you aren't sure how to do it with a 7 machine.

I have found that if I want to share a network printer, it is far easier to accomplish it when the printer is attached to an XP machine than a 7 machine. On the XP machine, I simply give it a Share name. Then from any other computer on the network, I find it by using \\computername\sharename. So far, however, I haven't been able to share a printer which is connected to a 7 machine. I therefore always do printer sharing using XP machines.

I'll bet the same issues I'm having are what you will have when you try to RDP into the 7 machine.

Thanks
    Jim,
    I'm able to share a printer on my Windows 7 Desktop with a Windows XP desktop and a Windows 8 laptop. I installed the user IDs used by both other machines in the Windows 7 computer. Here are my advanced network settings in the Network and Sharing Center:
    win 7 network settings.jpg

Thanks
    Looks like you have everything set for maximum compatibility.

In all honesty, I've never been able to get sharing to work when the "server" is a Windows 7 machine; but I can always get it to work with no trouble when the server is a Windows XP machine. That's why I always use my XP machine as the server.

Sounds like you are farther along than me on these issues.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. Bruce -- the two PCs have different IP addresses, both are 192.168.1.xxx static IP addresses, based on the router's subnet. But the external IP for both systems is the same static IP address assigned by our Internet provider. jwitalka -- I had already set the sharing options as your screen shot shows, except for the last "enable 40- or 56-bit encryption." Unless someone tells me otherwise, I don't think that setting is causing my problem. What about the port used for Remote Connection. I know that I had to open port 3389 on the router to be able to use RDP with my XP system. Is it possible that I need to open a different port to be able to do RDP to the Win7 system? If so, is there a best port for this? And do I have to specify the port somewhere on the Win7 system? And what do I enter on the client system so it knows to go to the Win7 system, not the XP system. Or am I totally off base?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    For this to work using RDP, you need to make some changes to the system.

First, given you are exposing the default RDP to the internet, I strongly recommend changing it on the existing XP machine from 3389 to something else. Port 3389 is a well known port and is often used to attack machines running RDP. If you look in your firewall logs, you will probably see hundreds if not thousands of failed connections on port 3389. These are currently only protected by your username and password. It will be only a matter of time before they are broken by a determined hacker. Use netstat -a to check for ports in use on the PC and chose a random high port that is not in use. Once you have chosen the high port (say above 16384), follow the guidance in this Microsoft article for how to change the listening port on the PC.

Next, having set a new listening port on the XP machine, you need to do the same on the Windows 7 machine, choosing a different port number.

Having got the listening ports sorted, you need to make some changes to the IP addresses of the client PC's. Just now, they will almost certainly be set for DHCP assigned addresses, but for this to work, you need static addresses. First got to the router and either disable DHCP, or if there are other PC's on the network that use DHCP addresses, set an exclusion range in the DHCP server (depending on router firmware it may be possible to set fixed DHCP addresses in the address pool). Now go to the two PC's and set fixed IP addresses within the exclusion range of the DHCP server. Open the network connections wizard and deselect automatically assign IP address and DNS server under the TCP/IPv4 properties. Set the IP address to be different , e.g. 192.168.1.20 and 192.168.1.21, use netmask 255.255.255.0. Set the primary DNS server to be your router IP address.

Now go back to the router and setup port forwarding. This is very dependent on the router and it's firewall firmware, so I can't give you specific guidance because each outer will be different. Look for Port forwarding. Set a port forwarding rule for each new RDP port to the appropriate PC. It may also be necessary to allow RDP from non standard ports in the router firewall, but as I said, it's highly dependent on the router.

Once everything is set up, you should be able to RDP to the separate machines from the internet by appending the port number with a colon to the external IP address. If your external IP address is 1.2.3.4, you would connect using 1.2.3.4:xp port or 1.2.3.4:win7 port.

It's quite a bit of messing around when hosted services could work, but if you need RDP rather than the others mentioned earlier then that's the way to go.

/edit: just read the bit about you using static internal IP addresses, so the bit about disabling DHCP is not relevant. I'll leave in that part though for reference for other readers.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-12-04 at 04:31. Reason: update regarding static internal IP addresses
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-12-04)

Thanks
    I've just set up a Windows 7 PC at work on our entirely-XP-based-PCs domain, and found for some unaccountable reason that the Windows Firewall service on the Win7 PC was disabled. This resulted in me being unable to PING or to Remote Desktop from my XP PC to the Windows 7 PC. Once the Windows Firewall service on the Win7 PC was enabled, and the firewall itself was disabled, then All was Well.
    Probably the OP didn't have this problem, though!

<rant>
    Why do I disable the Windows Firewall on PCs? Because I have spent far too many days trying to perform the usual administrative functions on my flock of XP PCs, such that I can PING them, connect to their administrative shares, remote control them, and so on, with the Windows Firewall enabled, and being frustrated beyond endurance. I had hoped that Windows 7 would make it easier, but this doesn't seem to be the case...
    </rant>
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...