New Lounger
    Thanks

Router recommendations?

I'm looking for a reliable router. It looks like my Cisco Valet M20 is behaving irresponsibly (it gets into states where it will not connect to port 80).

My first router was a Linksys, and never failed; I only changed because it didn't have wireless access. My next router was a Linksys that had the open source firmware, but it failed after about a week, so I took it back and got another, which lasted about a year or two and started failing again. So, I purchased this Valet, which seems to be failing also.

I MUST have the ability to reserve DHCP addresses; it needs to have at least four ports (six or eight would be better).

Any recommendations?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Have a look at Belkin routers. I have found them to reliable and they usually rank on top in terms of speed and range. I have had two that ran for years without issues and outperforming other better known brands (such as Linksys).

They have quite a few models, so you'd need to pick the one that fits your requirements the best: http://www.belkin.com/us/Products/Ne...less/c/WSNTWLS

Thanks
    Another good brand of routers are the Netgears. Replaced my troublesome Cisco Linksys with one and haven't had any issues. It even had a firmware update to support IPV6. It does also have the ability to reserve IP addresses. Don't know of any router that doesn't supply at least 4 ports.

Jerry

Thanks
    I would recommend my Billion BiPAC 7800N router. Works flawlessly, but it's not cheap.
    (Unfortunately the reviews describe it as 'stunning', and 'awesome'.
    I have never really come to terms with someone's description of a standard piece of consumer electronic hardware as 'awesome'...)
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I just installed a Linksys 4500. It replaces a Belkin that was failing, the Belkin replaced a Netgear, that replaced a D-Link. It seems as though I can get about a year and a half out of a router. However, untill I bought the 4500, all I bought were the lowest cost router available.

Thanks
    Well, the OP has recommendations of all the major brands we see discussed here. I'll throw my vote for Linksys. I have the E4200. I like the fact that it's dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) In my neighborhood there are many on the 2.4 GHz band, but only me on the 5 GHz band. Nice!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Here is another suggestion;http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/routers
    The best of luck in your choice.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten