Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dozens of phishing e-mails

I have an email account from my RoadRunner provider, and a Hotmail account. Emails to my RoadRunner account get automatically forwarded to my Hotmail account.

It's ironic, but months ago, when Stratfor was hacked, both my email addresses were part of the thousands of accounts that were captured.

Every day I get dozens of phishing emails sent to me. They all wind up in my junk mail folder in Hotmail, are easy to spot, and I just delete them.

It seems like it would be a pain to rectify, but I wonder how some of you would deal with this issue.

Any advice would be gratefully received,
    Dick

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Dick,

A pain is right. I recently went through changing email addresses for a different reason, I wanted to be free of a given ISP so I changed both my and my wife's email addresses (we both have multiple) to GMail. I now have one for Friends/Family only, one for Social Networking sites only, and one for Financial Institutions only. The only way I could see to do it was to list all the sites I used in a spreadsheet with the current email address registered and one by one go to them and change to the appropriate new address and mark in the spreadsheet which one it now uses. I'm about 6 months in and still every now and then I come across one I have missed. Luckily I haven't changed ISPs yet so the old ones are still active. It is a painstakingly arduious process but one well worth taking IMHO.

Often the hardest part is to get your friends/family to start using the new address. I've noticed a large dropoff of forwarded emails since, even if they have started using the new address for directly sent emails they haven't changed any distribution lists, they are still going to the old addresses.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-12-03)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    I don't think you can do much other than enduring it. I would get new email addresses and would start the slow process of replacing the existing ones everywhere possible.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-12-03)

Thanks
    I can sympathize Dick. I also get a lot of junk email in both RR and Hotmail. I do the same as you, Delete! I suppose you could set up some custom filters at the Hotmail servers, which might filter out some of it. Unfortunately I never had much success with the filters. Also unfortunately, whether your servers are hacked or not, those people just always seem to find a way to get our emails.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-12-03)

Thanks
    And you know what........ i've found out that a whole lot of folks don't know how to change your default email address so they keep on using it !!!

Address book, properties......Dah!! sad but true.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jagworld:
    I don't understand your comment. Do you mean me; spammers; who??
    Dick

Thanks
    No- the general customer base doesn't have a clue how to chg someones email address.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing Email addresses

For those of you changing email addresses, you might consider buying your own domain and running email only on that. I own chattertonclan.com and I pay $60 per year ($4.95 per month) for Email and $30 every other year for the domain name. But with that I have infinite [name]@chattertonclan.com so my entire family can have email and I can set up email forwarding, etc. And I can be on any ISP/webmail and still use the same old email address.

It was pretty easy to set up.

Craig

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craigrc For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-12-06)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigrc View Post
    For those of you changing email addresses, you might consider buying your own domain and running email only on that. I own chattertonclan.com and I pay $60 per year ($4.95 per month) for Email and $30 every other year for the domain name. But with that I have infinite [name]@chattertonclan.com so my entire family can have email and I can set up email forwarding, etc. And I can be on any ISP/webmail and still use the same old email address.

It was pretty easy to set up.

Craig
    That's exactly what we have, except that we have only five actual email boxes. But we have seemingly infinite virtual email addresses. We use Rackspace. They have superb 24/7 tech support.

Thanks
    Even without incidents like yours, I've noticed that my paid Yahoo Mail Plus Account has been letting more spam through lately, although it does go to my Spam Folder, so it is being correctly filtered. I wonder if the spammers have figured out a new way to get around ISP spam filtering? Or maybe the ISPs have been relaxing their policies regarding simply bouncing spam and not letting us see it at all. I just scan for any stray actual mail and hit the trashcan icon. With virtually unlimited email storage, there's never an issue of filling up my allocation, and my email client (Pegasus Mail) doesn't download from the Spam Folder when in POP-3 Mode. IMAP (Fastmail free or OperaMail) does download all the Spam.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    My Verizon account, which I've had for over five years, gets virtually no spam. My newer gmail account gets a lot of spam, but it's very easy to delete all the spam at once from the spam folder.

Thanks
    GMail Spam does sometimes download into email clients. I don't know why or how to prevent it.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want your own domain and unlimited email accounts. I use hostignition.com for $20 year for hosting. I have no connection other than customer and I'm not providing you with a link for credit. Just a happy customer who likes to point out deals!

$20 plus baremetal or someone for domain for about $10.

Thanks
    If you get free email (yahoo, gmail, etc), you aren't paying them, but they have to make their money somehow, so they sell info. That's why spam filtering isn't going to be as effective with the free accounts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    If you get free email (yahoo, gmail, etc), you aren't paying them, but they have to make their money somehow, so they sell info. That's why spam filtering isn't going to be as effective with the free accounts.
    This is a Yahoo paid Mail Plus Account. The spam increase accompanied an interface update.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast