Lounger
    Thanks

Question Puzzling laptop screen resolution problem

I have an HP HDX-16 series laptop which I have had for 2-3 years. Recently I decided to replace the hard drive with a hybrid drive and I am so far very pleased with the way it performs. Obviously I had to install Windows 7 and all my programs, and that has gone very smoothly so far. However a puzzling issue has arisen.
    My recollection is that my native screen resolution was 1366x768 and that is confirmed when I check the specs of the laptop on the HP website. After installing new drivers, mostly from the HP site, I now find that my native (recommended) resolution is reported as 1920x1080. Certainly everything looks much clearer at this higher resolution, although I have to increase font size to read text (aging eyes!). My question is this: How can my recommended (native) resolution be different with the same screen and the same display adapter? Is the recommended resolution determined by the display adapter or by the software (driver)?
    Any ideas on this puzzle?

Thanks
    My guess is that you downloaded a different (newer?) printer driver which now recommends the higher resolution.

I assume that you can change it back to 1366x768 if you choose to?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes the video/graphics driver is newer but I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it was the video adapter that determined the native resolution.
    I am not concerned about the change - in fact the screen is much clearer at the higher resolution. I can choose the lower resolution, but it does not look as clear.
    I am more puzzled than concerned.
    Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    I have not done the math to verify that both have the same ratio but it is possible that a new driver takes advantage of a high native resolution. In other words an older driver could have cut it down for performance reasons. If this is not the case it is a driver function rather than hardware. Performance and clarity are the key use what looks and works the best.
    Last edited by RussB; 2012-12-03 at 16:46.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RussB.
    The two resolutions are essentially the same ratio, 1.77:1 or 16:9.
    I am using the better resolution since, as I said earlier, it looks better. The only downside is that I have to make text bigger so I can read it! Not too much of a price to pay for better resolution.
    As an aside, the hybrid drive is proving to be an asset. Boot up time has dropped by more than half, and the computer is generally faster in almost every way.