2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attach Normal template after custom template to avoid Word hanging?

I'm setting up a Global template, styles, and Workgroup Templates where I work.

Recently someone attempted to open a doc, based on one of my templates, while not connected to our network. After he had clicked "open for editing" on the yellow protected view warning , Word hung while looking for the attached template's filepath. He didn't wait long enough to find out if Word would resort to the Normal template.

I have come up with the following strategy to prevent this problem, and I'd like to know if there are hidden dangers - before I implement it!

The first time a new doc based on a workgroup template is saved, a macro can attach the Normal template instead of the custom template. My custom templates only supply formatting to the document; styles are copied from the Global, and macros etc reside in the Global template, so once a new doc is created the custom template has done its work. I would base the Normal filepath on Word's idea of the User Templates location.

Am I right in thinking that a doc set up like this will always be linked to the current user's Normal, and therefore not cause a hopeless search for the custom template's filepath?

Any comments, suggestions or insights are welcome.

Thanks
    Stylus

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, that strategy will work if you no longer need the original template attached (and you don't use the setting to automatically update styles on open).

When this problem used to happen to me (10 years ago), I just pulled out the network cable (the document then opens quickly) and then plugged it back in again. Another alternative is to simply put a template with the same name in your user templates directory.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Andrew.

One concern I have is writing the macro's filepath to Normal so that every user's Word will find its own local Normal. I am assuming/hoping that Word will know this whereabouts even if a user has messed around with their setup.

You describe "pulling the plug" to speed things up. Well, the user who had this problem had received the doc in an email, and was opening it at home; the next day at work Word had no problems with the doc. I am a bit surprised that Word would hang when there was no network connection!

My strategy of passive WorkGroup Templates and a Global that supplies tools and styles is now giving an added benefit: I can disregard the templates once they've supplied the formatting!
    Stylus

Thanks
    Stylus, you can ask Word where the user's normal template is with Application.StartupPath.

This looks to the program's settings to see the StartUp folder (and the Normal template). If they do something like move Normal.dotm out of the that folder, it doesn't matter since Word will just create a new Normal.dotm in whatever folder has been designated as StartUp.

Kim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Kim,

I've set the macro to use Word.Options.DefaultFilePath(wdUserTemplatesPath) & "\" & "normal.dotm". I've sent some samples out to users to see if there are more problems.

I have a new global question that I am posting in a new thread just now...
    Stylus