1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Clean Install from Upgrade Disk to SSD with no Operating System

I'm about to build a new pc and would like to know if I need to buy a full version of Windows 8 or can I use the update version to do a clean install on a disk drive which does not contain any operating system? It was possible to install Windows 7 from an upgrade rather than having to buy the full version so can something similar be done with Windows 8 and still be legitimate within the licence agreement?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. 3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the kind of thing where no-one can really say until someone tries it, but if you would like a guess, it is no. I think they have closed this hole.

With Windows 7, you could do a full install of Windows 7 without entering the activation key, and then it would accept the unactivated install of Windows 7 as a valid Operating System to upgrade from. After the second install you could enter your activation key and have a fully valid installation. Microsoft knew about it, but simply refused to comment on whether it violated the EULA.

Windows 8 won't let you install without an activation key. There may be some other way to do it with Windows 8, and if there is, we should hear about it soon.

4. Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It was possible to install Windows 7 from an upgrade rather than having to buy the full version so can something similar be done with Windows 8 and still be legitimate within the licence agreement?

1. Yes I believe it is possible to do, by jumping through some hoops. There have been threads here in the Lounge that describe methods and a Google search also gives details.

2. No, I don't think it is within the licence terms and conditions.

Notwithstanding the Enterprise 90-day evaluation product, a Technet/MSDN version, or more exotic NFR and volume licensing schemes, the only valid licence to use when installing Windows 8 on a machine which contains no pre-existing OS is the PUL System Builder Licence.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Ditto what Tinto states. The Upgrade Media (the $40 offer from MS) requires a qualifying OS to be replaced. These will include Win XP, Win Vista or Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Windows 8 Clean Install from Upgrade Disk to SSD with no Operating System
    I'm about to build a new pc and would like to know if I need to buy a full version of Windows 8 or can I use the update version to do a clean install on a disk drive which does not contain any operating system? It was possible to install Windows 7 from an upgrade rather than having to buy the full version so can something similar be done with Windows 8 and still be legitimate within the licence agreement?
    The answer is yes, BUT...
    You will need to perform a refresh after the clean install to get the product key to activate.
    This WindowsEightForum's article will show you how.

This is the caveat:
    If you wish to retain the rights to and continued use of your previous OS, I would strongly suggest the full Windows 8 version.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-12-04 at 20:50.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

7. Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Essentially that method seems to be almost identical to one of the methods for a clean install of Win 7 upgrade.
    Just like the previous OS, there has to be a way of course, unless at some point all hard drive or motherboard failures become a thing of the past.

Thanks
    As is quite often the case with MS, the license agreement and what one can actually do are two different things, barring hacks and cracks.
    A degree of built in fudge I like to think, otherwise those loopholes would get closed rather quickly.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.