Thanks

Surface Pro: What We still don't know

Thanks
    The storage space and battery life issues will be the biggest factors here.

It's outrageous that just the RT takes up nearly 16GB worth of storage space. That's almost on par with my Windows 8 desktop with it's full compliment of 3rd party apps.
    Usage patterns will determine battery life to a great extent, but if you have a full OS on a tablet, logic stands to reason that one is going to use it as such.

It'll be a wait and see thing
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    @Clint - that is strange that you find it almost on par with your Win8 install. On my Win 8 Enterprise system my windows folder is almost 23GB by itself. Then there is another 7 GB for programs. I don't find 16GB to be outrageous for RT when you consider Office and the other apps that are preinstalled. I think it is nuts to only have 32GB of storage to begin with. Although for many people that will be enough.

Joe

Thanks
    Its outrageous because of the comparison to other tablets on the market, not in comparison to other Windows products. It certainly ought to take less space than Windows Enterprise and its desktop products. Windows RT is intended to be a Consumer tablet with apps that use far less space than full blown desktop applications.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    In Windows 8 the Enterprise SKU has the same feature set as the Pro SKU. Granted that is more than the exposed features in RT but Windows in any flavor is going to take more space than an MP3 player/phone OS ported to a larger screen (and yes that is sarcasm not flame bait). Anyone can say what they want about it being outrageous and how Surface RT is supposed to be a consumer device but it is more than just a stock tablet when it has Office on it with the ability to run the lightweight apps too. It still has other Windows desktop functionality even if not full featured. Look at the peripheral device compatibility too with a MicroSD slot, USB, Bluetooth, & HD video output. All that "stuff" takes more room. Whether or not is should take 16GB is debatable.

All I'm saying is that IMO 16GB is not outrageous. You can disagree. If you don't like it don't buy it.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    In Windows 8 the Enterprise SKU has the same feature set as the Pro SKU.
    Plus AppLocker, Windows To Go, Direct Access, BranchCache, NFS etc.

Bruce

Thanks
    Fantastical code bloat has always been an issue with Microsoft products, but you'd think that they would make some form of effort to get it under
    control when creating for a tablet device.
    Perhaps I should have said that the size was on par with a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro, that would be more congruent with reality.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.