3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Complete List of Parts for Proposed Build

Hello again, Friends

I pretty much have a tentative list of parts and costs for my prospective build. This list includes the case and all that goes inside of it. All the parts Have been ordered, and I have either received them or they are well on the way. I can still make changes if I would be well advised to do so.

My goal was to build a heavy duty video workstation with these considerations:
    1. Best bang for buc
    2. Keeping it balanced to avoid extremes of bottlenecking or bottlebloating
    3. Making it contemporary enough to handle modern tasks (eg. Super HD, 3D, etc)

I picked up a few other goodies as well, like a top notch Logitech webcam, an extra VelociRaptor, and a USB San Disk card reader, etc. Gonna use my 42" Panasonic full HD as monitor.

I most welcome and appreciate your thoughts, advice, and even nitpicks. I want to get this right! Perhaps I should mention that at this point, I opted for Windows 7 Pro 64 bit over 8, because my impressions of 8 is that it is not as mouse friendly as 7, and I happen to be something of a mouse potato. Perhaps someone will persuade me otherwise. Okay, here is the following list:

Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147107
    $64.79

Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650 650W Continuous @ 50C, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active - PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182071
    $97.19

MSI Intel ATX DDR3 2400 Intel LGA 1155 Motherboards Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product
    $150.84

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
    $269.36

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231589
    $135.12

MSI Power Edition N650Ti PE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127704
    $145.86 (includes $15 dollar rebate, if I receive it).

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card SB1354
    $104.54

SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-240G-G25
    $182.68

Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ 500GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236244
    $86.79

HGST 4TB Deskstar 3.5" SATA III Internal Hard Drive
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=835056&is=REG
    $189.00

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-Ray Burner with SW, 3D Play Back - BH14NS40
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136249
    $97.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116992
    $129.59

Total = $1,652.75 (includes all sales tax and appropriate shipping).
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2012-12-04 at 14:20.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Gerald,

All I can say is "SMOK'IN"!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2012-12-05)

Thanks
    Looks like a nice build with some decent deals to boot.
    The case looks good from the Newegg video presentation.

Consider one of these as an alternative to stock CPU cooling.
    Consider going up a bit on your PSU to at least 750W, although the 650 should be fine.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2012-12-05)

Thanks
    I was going to say a slightly bigger PS might be better. No sense taking a chance on an overload. Under normal conditions the 650 should be fine, but as we know, normal conditions quite often surprise us.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2012-12-05)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    CPU = 100w
    MB = 100W
    GPU = 100W
    Disks 50W max.
    Ancillaries = 50W

That won't trouble your proposed power supply.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2012-12-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you guys so much for your input and advice! I see you have offered me some important things to consider. I'll follow up a little later on what I am going to do about the matters. While I am here, can I please ask if SATA III cables can transmit SATA 6 speeds? Or, do they just accomodate 6's at 3 speed? Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Back again, Friends

I was persuaded by the prudence of alternative cooling solutions for the CPU. Last thing anyone needs is some catastrophic system meltdown, which could could have been prevented by a modest investment. What is funny to me is that I never initially intended to build an overclocker computer, that the parts just kind of came together that way.

CLiNT, I so wanted to pull the trigger on the cooler you presented me, but I could not for a few reasons.
    1. The cost made my jaw drop.
    2. I needed reassurance that it would not interfere with my high profile RAM (heat sinks attached)
    3. I got nervous how many unhappy campers there were among the reviewers. Those who luv 'em sure luv 'em though.

However I did track down what I hope is an acceptable alternative. This Zalman is listed as one of the ten best solutions one can get, and I got a great discount on it. I had to purchase it today to qualify for an extra $20 rebate.

ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Red LED
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118075

As far as the PSU, curiously, I was reading (at Tom's Hardware, I think), that manufacturers are notoriously inaccurate about posting their wattage ratings. So for example, it is entirely possible to purchase a lower rated unit that actually supplies more than the higher rated. Imagine that! This Rosewill Capstone series seems to enjoy good repute. I discovered one of those sophisticated PSU calculator sites, and indeed 650W is plenty sufficient for all I intend to throw at it. However, that site revealed that there is more to the pcture than just plain wattage. At least as important they say is the Amperage a given PS can output. The 750 outputs 8A more on the 12V, and for that reason, I'm gonna get it.

I know you guys know all this stuff, but writing it down helps me get things clear as I can.

Thanks
    CLiNT, I so wanted to pull the trigger on the cooler you presented me, but I could not for a few reasons.
    1. The cost made my jaw drop.
    2. I needed reassurance that it would not interfere with my high profile RAM (heat sinks attached)
    3. I got nervous how many unhappy campers there were among the reviewers. Those who luv 'em sure luv 'em though.
    Yeah I know, I tend to go overboard on the costs, anyone who knows me here will attest too that.
    The Zalman cooler you listed should be just fine.

As far as the PSU, curiously, I was reading (at Tom's Hardware, I think), that manufacturers are notoriously inaccurate about posting their wattage ratings. So for example, it is entirely possible to purchase a lower rated unit that actually supplies more than the higher rated. Imagine that! This Rosewill Capstone series seems to enjoy good repute. I discovered one of those sophisticated PSU calculator sites, and indeed 650W is plenty sufficient for all I intend to throw at it. However, that site revealed that there is more to the pcture than just plain wattage. At least as important they say is the Amperage a given PS can output. The 750 outputs 8A more on the 12V, and for that reason, I'm gonna get it.
    I'd never go lower, and I could care less what someone has written up in an article. Always factor in higher needs.
    I currently have a 1000W PSU, but I'm sure I could easily get away with a lot less, but a PSU is not something I want to skimp.

For the best reviews into PSU's, go to Hard OCP, don't even bother looking anywhere else for a review.
    They don't just review them, they torture them under conditions you are unlikely to face.

PC based gamers and overclockers are probably, hands down, the best stimulus to advancing hardware in the industry, because
    they are always pushing the limits of what hardware can do, and in the most cost effective manner possible.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-12-06 at 01:42.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Yeah I know, I tend to go overboard on the costs, anyone who knows me here will attest too that.
    The Zalman cooler you listed should be just fine.

I'd never go lower, and I could care less what someone has written up in an article. Always factor in higher needs.
    I currently have a 1000W PSU, but I'm sure I could easily get away with a lot less, but a PSU is not something I want to skimp.

For the best reviews into PSU's, go to Hard OCP, don't even bother looking anywhere else for a review.
    They don't just review them, they torture them under conditions you are unlikely to face.

PC based gamers and overclockers are probably, hands down, the best stimulus to advancing hardware in the industry, because
    they are always pushing the limits of what hardware can do, and in the most cost effective manner possible.
    Thanks for the moral support, CLiNT! And thank you for your impressions on Windows 8 from my other post. I will keep an open mind and reflect on that at least. Now if I could only get an answer on if SATA 3 cables can transmit at SATA 6 speeds??? And if I may, about how long a one should I get? I'd really like to know so I can add to my order if necessary asap. For now, I thank you for the link, and I'm going to point my browser on a magic carpet ride to Hard OCP.

Thanks
    I don't differential between SATA cables, it's not like USB 3.0 where you have more "wires" in them.
    If you see cable listed as SATA 3.0, it's largely market gimmick. Ignore it.
    And as far as length goes, your just gonna have to make your own measurements based on your selected case and positioning of the drives.
    Doing it by eye will be fine, just don't underestimate the length.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-12-06 at 02:24.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, a million times, CLiNT

Now I can proceed with what might be my final order. Heaven knows I have spent enough already for my circumstances.

You know, I got to reminiscing how the first generation eMachines came with 145W power supplies. It did not take me too long to discover such computers were never really meant for expansion. My guess is that you too, have experienced hardware failures in the past, seeing how adamant you are on supplies and cooling solutions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, follow up time for anyone interested. So I ordered the Zalman CPU cooler and upgraded to the 750W capstone with those 8 extra amps, and a couple SATA cables. That puts the total cost (including all taxes, shipping charges, rebates) at a mere/whopping...

$1,716.51

And I saved hundreds of dollars.

Yessir... Looks like lots of beans, rice, and taters on my menu for awhile.

***Tee-he, it better be a Thunderbolt!
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2012-12-06 at 14:15.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Passing comment on the PSU requirements.
    The +12 volt line is not used as much as the +3.3 & +5 volt. The CPU / memory etc use the lower voltages and the ancillaries use +12 (mainly), so you should ensure you have plenty of +3.3, +5 volt rather than +12.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Passing comment on the PSU requirements.
    The +12 volt line is not used as much as the +3.3 & +5 volt. The CPU / memory etc use the lower voltages and the ancillaries use +12 (mainly), so you should ensure you have plenty of +3.3, +5 volt rather than +12.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul! I was not aware that's how it all worked. Checked it... I get a boost there, too.