Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, its checking before the network adapter is initialized and the network is available,its been a problem right from the beginning.
    If you have a log in, waiting a minute at the log in screen might do the trick. Some have had luck with a registry edit that goes back to the Vista days (same problem) or a script that runs; check out this Google search for some research.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

mricks01 (2012-12-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Cool! The time anomaly is back...I'm becoming younger again!

Lounger
    Thanks

Could not reconnect all network drives message

This is a trivial and non-disabling problem, but it is driving me a little nuts.

I have a NAS drive which I have mapped as "W" cabled in to my router. Whenever I start or restart my computer, the message shown in picture one comes upStep 1.jpg.

If one then opens Windows Explorer, one sees that the drive is shown, but with an "X" indicating not recognized, as seen
    here: Step 2.jpg

If one then double clicks the drive, it opens up to shown that the contents are in fact accessible and recognized. Closing that window shows that the "X" is gone:Step 3.jpg

I kind of suspect that it is a startup timing issue, but am not sure. It does cause a little problem with automatic backups, which fail if I have forgotten to go through the steps above.
    Mike
    I can always use good information

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, F.U.N. I followed the link, and all the baby links it pointed to; and got plenty of information. After trying a couple of things that did not fix the problem i decided that for my purposes I would just live with it, and make sure I open that drive after startup before trying any backups.
    Mike

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This solution worked for me on 4 computers:

Start > Run > type "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) click ok.
    Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon
    set this to Enable

Start > Run > type "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) click ok.
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Scripts\Run logon scripts synchronously
    set this to Enable

Then reboot.

Shamon
    "Relax, nothing is under control."
    http://zenbegin.net/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Shamon - when I try that, Win 7 (64bit) does not recognize the gpedit.msc. perhaps you are using a different OS?
    Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mricks01 View Post
    Shamon - when I try that, Win 7 (64bit) does not recognize the gpedit.msc. perhaps you are using a different OS?
    Gpedit is only available with a Pro or higher version of Windows. If you are using Home Premium or Basic it is not available.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can try this:
    How to Enable “Group Policy Editor” (gpedit.msc) in Windows 7 Home Premium, Home Basic and Starter Editions?
    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-g...rter-editions/

Shamon
    "Relax, nothing is under control."
    http://zenbegin.net/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This issue had me frothing at the mouth - the network drives were always perfectly usable, so why the pop-up and red X's? My solution to this was to set a static IP address in Windows 7. Previously I had it statically mapped in PFSense (router), but I guess there is still some amount of delay as the router dishes out the lease and by that time Windows decides that the drives are inaccessible.

Such an obvious solution, I don't know why it was the last thing I thought of. I'm still confused as to why my other system with the same OS, same NIC and same static mapping never gives me the pop-up.