New Lounger
    Thanks

IE8 and IE9 don't want to know

Hi
    I've recently upgraded to Windows7.
    At first Internet Explorer was very very very slow and I saw that I still had IE8 - so thought it might be best to replace with IE9. But IE9 won't download because it says 'setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer'
    So i thought it might be best to uninstall IE8 first before trying again.
    So I tried uninstalling IE8 but it wouldn't let me due to 'the data is invalid'

...and since trying I find that IE8 doesn't work at all - nothing!! Luckily I'd already installed google chrome but I do want my Internet explorer working!!!

Pete

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

IE8 is part of the Windows 7 installation. You can't really uninstall it you can only make it disappear by configuring Windows Features. If this is what you did then I'd recommend you disable the feature using the Control Panel, re-boot your system, then re-enable the feature, re-boot again. Test. If that does NOT work try running "SFC /SCANNOW" from an elevated command prompt.

If you still have problems you should consider an inplace upgrade. See How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade for details. NOTE: If you choose the inplace upgrade be sure to backup your data before you begin.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Cohenite451 (2012-12-05)

Thanks
    Did you do an upgrade to Windows 7, or a clean install? If an upgrade, what did you upgrade from? XP?

Back in the XP days, there was an issue with XP SP3, namely, if you upgraded IE to ver 8 (?), and then you installed SP3, and you then decided that you didn't like IE 8, you would have to uninstall SP3 before uninistalling IE ver 8. But if you installed SP3 first, there was no problem with later on uninstalling IE 8.

My point is, if you upgraded from XP, and you had previously upgraded to IE 8 before installing XP SP3, this might be the cause of the kind of issue you are having with IE.

A clean install of Windows 7 may therefore fix your problem.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-12-05 at 11:32.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Cohenite451 (2012-12-05)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can not do an upgrade install from XP to Win7. You can use upgrade media but must do a custom install which ends up being a clean install of Win7.

Joe