5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help with changing a Wi-Fi network password

LANGALIST PLUS

Help with changing a Wi-Fi network password

By Fred Langa

It's easy to change a Wi-Fi router's password and other settings even if you can't find the owner's manual. Some common shortcuts and a built-in Windows tool are usually all you need to access your router's configuration software.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/help-with-changing-a-wi-fi-network-password/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For Bob with the laptop battery problem, I'm pretty sure he can have his original battery rebuilt to original specs at a battery rebuilding facility. I know there's a battery shop in a city near my hometown that rebuilds power tool batteries such as Craftsman drill batteries. I think the name of that business is Battery Source. BatteryMart.com's website says they can rebuild most laptop batteries to OEM specs so long as the battery's electronics and circuit board is good. (Note: I have no personal experience with or knowledge of BatteryMart.com - just saw their listing in a Google search.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Minor correction: While the Win8 Pro Upgrade that you can download from Microsoft for $39.99 indeed has an install.esd file rather than an install.wim file in it, the Win8 Pro Upgrade that you can purchase with media for a list price of $69.99 (Amazon has sold it for as little as $54.99, including a $25 Amazon credit for a net price of $29.99, but currently it's $66.99 with no included credit) does include an install.wim file.

Thanks
    FYI Regarding the Changing a Wi-Fi network password problem...

I have a wired Belkin router that has a single Ethernet connector (and a USB connector). When I bought a laptop, I wanted a wireless router and used an Ethernet switch to connect both to the wired router (so I could turn off the wireless router when not using the laptop).

The Belkin manual states (and I have verified) that the PC must be directly connected to the Belkin router to access the management/configuration page. The page cannot be accessed though the switch.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email updates

This is more a comment about the earlier article on changing email clients which is referenced here.
    I have been using Eudora for more years than I care to think about - I actually *paid* for the pro version!

I have been looking for something else for a while.

My problem is that a lot of email programs will not import from Eudora. I have tried most of the ones you reference, without much luck. "The Bat" can import them, but it loses all date&time info. With a 'history' going back so far since 92, according to my inbox, that information is kinda important to me.

I am looking at Inscribe and i.scribe, but there is an issue there too. If you buy the better version, the licence is only valid until the major product number changes. The last stable release was in 2008, and there have been nearly 50 beta versions of the next release since then. So, you either risk buying a beta version, or pay for the stable version in the knowledge that it could be replaced with a stable V2.0 any day...

I am becoming aware that the longer I wait to change clients, the less chance there will be of getting something which will import my stuff correctly.

If anyone knows of a client which will handle the import correctly, I would be grateful for a point in the right direction.

Phil.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BatterySource is one good avenue, they will open the case and replace the bad cells in the current battery pack with new, good ones.
    There is also a good mail resource, the Ni-Cad Lady http://www.nicdladyonline.com. I have used them to rebuild laptop batteries and also amateur radio batteries. They do good work and guarantee them. They use new cells in the old case.