4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mobile is eating the world

ZDnet: Mobile is eating the world

http://www.zdnet.com/mobile-is-eatin...ld-7000008315/

Interesting Chart. Would seem to explain why Microsoft is running around with its hair on fire.

Thanks
    Interesting Chart. Would seem to explain why Microsoft is running around with its hair on fire.
    LOL, that's because they've got a lot of "catching up" to do in an obviously lucrative market they've been missing out on.

But right now it's largely a candy market, and we all know you can't get by on eating candy exclusively.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just when I think no one can possibly post anything less germane to the focus of the conversation...someone goes and totally redeems the forum!

That chart crystallizes what it's all about. Not XBoxes, not Corporate business base, not Microsoft Office and other MS software products, none of that stuff discussed earlier. It's about what folks are picking up and carrying with them out the door of their home or office. Microsoft wants to remain relevant in the growth of that shifting consumerism, not be relegated to being a mature company, servicing a more static customer base.

Win 8 is the result, simple as that, designed to compliment a mobile device, yet offer more. From there the conversation can continue; not from "oh, MS is doomed," "no, they're not,""yes they are,""no they're not,""yes they are..."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I really find some of the statements in the article to be very funny and out of touch with reality. "Take these plus small and medium sized firms and you really begin to see the shift to the post PC, mobile world where documents and email are less dominant as contractual and communication devices, and where mobile context is king." Seriously? Does this guy work in a real corporate environment? Or he he buying into everyone else's hype? Oh wait, he's an over paid consultant (I've found that most consultants have a very hard time understanding the business needs of their clients unless they actually worked in that business for a number of years). In my world I'm seeing a hybrid. Documents and e-mail are not only still king, but getting them on a mobile device is equally important. Where are all those documents and a good portion of those e-mails created? Not on a mobile device.

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post

That chart crystallizes what it's all about. Not XBoxes, not Corporate business base, not Microsoft Office and other MS software products, none of that stuff discussed earlier. It's about what folks are picking up and carrying with them out the door of their home or office. Microsoft wants to remain relevant in the growth of that shifting consumerism, not be relegated to being a mature company, servicing a more static customer base.
    Of course MS want to remain relevant in the consumer space, but do you really think "this is what its all about"? MS is a very diversified company. As such all markets they play in are important to them, until their not. So this chart is "what its all about" in only one aspect of their business. In that one area, I agree that they are sinking and need to pull their heads out of the water. Now, note the chart's title: Personal Computing platforms by Operating System shipment. A big change over the years that isn't considered in these types of articles is that in corporate IT puchases of PCs, that many companies have gone from desktop refreshes every 3 years to every 5, or even 7 years. Hardware has become that reliable. So one has to wonder what this chart would look like if all installed and currently used OSes were considered. Even from a consumer view, as much as everyone wants an iPad, very few have given up using their full PC. Tablets are a nice extension, but for the most part are still toys. At some point, these same people will buy something to replace their aged PC. And that will either be a Mac or a Windows machine. Keep in mind that MS doesn't have to sell the most licenses. Just remain competitive.

All that said, the reality of things is somewhere in the middle. Many consumers don't need anything more than a tablet. Many more want both worlds (I'm one of these). From a corporate perspective, save for specific applications, the desktop PC is not going away anytime soon. Its true, in regard to mobile computing MS is behind the 8 ball so to speak, but mobile computing is still a toddler in terms of technological maturity so there is a lot to expect, and be desired from all players. The best is yet to come. And I certainly don't see this chart or article as showing MS running around with it's "hair on fire".
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2012-12-07 at 11:29.
    Chuck

Thanks
    For the forseeable future there will be desktop (and laptop) PCs, with monitor/mouse/keyboard in an innumerable number of cubicles and offices in the corporate world, as well as in home offices. There will also be portable devices.

So while Microsoft may lose a lot of the market share they currently have, they'll still have a lot. And if you think about it, they don't have a lot of infrastructure at their headquarters; they just have a lot of people working there. So they may have to lay people off, nothing more, most of whom have stock in the company, and are therefore set for life.

I believe that Windows 8 and its "tablet" interface is Microsoft's answer to this challenge. Windows 8 will sooner or later catch on; MS has the money to wait till that happens.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MI
    MIT Professor: Windows 8 is Xmas Gift for Someone You Hate:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...sor,19622.html

Thanks
    Maybe I should send a copy of Windows 8 your way Prescott.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    "what its all about" in only one aspect of their business
    Check the top of the page, what it's all about, posted in a Windows 8 forum, not in a Microsoft forum or Windows in general forum. Just as Apple has leveraged their user base into iPads and Google-based products are leveraging into into larger touch screen devices, Microsoft is trying to leverage their user base into those same larger touch-based devices, and that chart shows why that is HERE and NOW, because that is the predominate type of device that Apple and Android are getting so much traction with.

And while I don't take an over-enthusiastic euphemism very seriously, I can almost feel the anxiousness of Redmond from here, they really wanted to get that ball rolling and I don't think they were quite ready yet. Maybe in six months or a year...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As a user I'm not irate but if I were the CEO, different story because the advantages of Win 8 are being drowned out, and their was a pain-free and non-controversial way to introduce all that change.

Unlike Force 10 from Navarone when they set the charges and opened just a crack and the weight behind the dam took care of the rest, Microsoft put in enough C4 to vaporize the whole dam.

Those kinds of quips are sure to follow in such an event. Oh! Just thought of another one. When Butch and Sundance robbed a train and they accidently blew the mail car to smithereens and Sundance said to Butch (or the other way around), "Think you used enough dynamite Butch?"