New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Antivirus 2013?

I recently tried to go to a webpage from Google and got a pop-up saying Microsoft Antivirus 2013 had detected a threat and wanted to start a scan. It was from a redirected website called "corollaceras.com". I shut down Firefox using Task Manager , did a hard shut down on the computer and then restarted it and ran MSE and all seems OK. I've never heard of "Microsoft Antivirus 2013" or "corollaceras.com" for that matter. Has anybody heard of this? Looks like a variant of the Win 7 Antivirus scams, etc. Anyhow, watch out.

Thanks
    Yeah, it's not uncommon. I've come across it too from time to time. Obviously there's no such thing as Microsoft Antivirus 2013 as a legit AV tool.
    You probably went too far with shutting your computer down though, that wasn't necessary. Usually all it takes is to just close down that
    particular browser window, in more extreme cases, using taskmanager to close the browser.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    For the time lost with the shutdown, the feeling of comfort is worth it. As Clint states using Task Manager was most likely enough to stop this malware, but you loose very little actual time by shutting down and rebooting. Running scans afterward never hurts either. Good job in not getting caught up with this beast.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy