3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install Windows 7Pro from USB to new SSD

Hi there

My HP Elitebook 8540P has a 500Gb Seagate Momentus 7200 drive, and the installation is getting to be problematic. To kill two birds with one stone, I want to replace the drive with an SSD, and at the same time, do a brand new install.

Installing from a USB Flash drive is far quicker, so I have created a bootable USB drive, with the Windows 7 Pro installation on it. (This is one that was actually used by a colleague of mine to install a new PC a couple of days ago, so I know it works!)

I have put the new SSD drive into a USB Drive bay, and initialised it, and formatted it - nice - very fast!

I then took the old 500Gb drive out, and replaced it with the SSD in the internal drive bay. I changed teh boot order in the bios to boot from the USB Flash drive, which worked fine..... The Windows Installation runs perfectly, and gets to the point of the Install button. Thereafter, the installation gives me a request to find the drivers for the drive where the OS is to be installed, or to find an alternate location - can't proceed further.

Reinstalled the old HDD and searched on the HP Support website for this laptop. I updated the BIOS from the HP website, and looked for SATA drivers - there are none!

How do I now install to a drive that cannot be seen? Please help!

Thanks
    As a side note, this would be a good time to update the firmware on the drive. It may require the making of another bootable USB stick.

To install on the new drive itself, your hardware has to recognize a formatted drive is present;
    Set the drive's controller to AHCI in BIOS, if not already done.
    Then format the drive for NTFS prior to the point where you would hit the "install button". You could also setup a partition at this time if you like.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Solution found..... I tried using a different USB port.... it turns out that the one I tried to use was a USB3 port that needs drivers.....
    Installed easily after that!