New Lounger
    Thanks

Download to a CD

When you purchase a download off the the internet can you downloaded to a CD? If so what are the steps you take to download it
    Thank You
    Raymond Graves

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Your best bet is to download it to your PC's disk first and then burn it to a CD. Download speeds are rarely consistent enough to allow a successful burn of a CD or DVD.

Joe

Thanks
    Are we discussing Win 8 here? I assume so.

During the download, shortly after the purchase screens, you will see the download screen, and the verify screen, then you will see a screen with 3 options:

14.jpg

Choose the "Install by creating media" option. This will allow the option to be saved to your HD and burn the ISO file to DVD or Flash. Simply Right Click the ISO file and choose Burn Disk Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A CD can only hold up to 700MB. As the Win8 ISO files are all well above 2GB you would need to burn the ISO to a DVD (or, as Medico said, a Flash memory key drive).

Thanks
    I missed that completely, or assumed the CD was a typo. I guess since this is the Win 8 Forum I assumed the OP was trying to download the Win 8 ISO directly to removable media, which would not work anyway, because we have to burn the ISO disk Image to allow the media to be bootable. Just putting the ISO file on DVD would not make it bootable.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Download to a CD
    When you purchase a download off the the internet can you downloaded to a CD? If so what are the steps you take to download it
    Thank You
    Raymond Graves
    You'll also be given the option to create a bootable USB stick. I would suggest creating both the DVD and USB thumb drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Yea, one of these days I'll get a Flash Drive of sufficient size to create the Flash, just to try it. I'm not sure if my Bios allows boot to flash. but if I'm helping someone without a DVD drive, I will need the flash.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Just out of curiosity folks what would be the ramifications if any if I were to download and save it to an external hard drive, then when I am ready to install, either install from there (yes it is Win8 ok) or move it to my desktop to install?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Just out of curiosity folks what would be the ramifications if any if I were to download and save it to an external hard drive, then when I am ready to install, either install from there (yes it is Win8 ok) or move it to my desktop to install?
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that.
    You can purchase and store the ISO anywhere you like, and run it whenever you are ready, from wherever you like.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The only thing you will loose is the ability to get Media Center for free, at least after Jan 31st. That's when the free add-on offer will end. Otherwise it should work fine. I would also suggest burning the ISO Image to either DVD or Flash because this gives you an installation media that also includes the Repair Console.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The original install disk, either DVD or USB, will make a better Windows 8 recovery disk than what you could make from within the OS itself.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: