New Lounger
    Thanks

Odd shutdown hangup

I'm running Vista SP 2. For about the last month, the computer has been hanging up on shutdown, not every time, but every second time like clockwork. It goes through the routine until the final shutdown screen, and sits there. The hard drive doesn't seem to be doing anything other than giving off a single typical click every ten seconds or so. After I force a shutdown, it boots normally with no "Windows didn't shut down properly last time" message. Then, after whenever I shut it down, no hang-up. But then the next time, it will hang up again.

I haven't installed anything new other than the usual Windows updates.

Any clues?

Thanks,
    pg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you checked your system event logs?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

Yes. At the last one, three iastor errors: "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."
    But these occasionally occur at other times, I don't even notice them, and the computer keeps working. And before some of the hangups, no errors are reported.

pg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Often shutdown problems are from external peripherals or network devices not responding. Do you have any network resources defined that are not available when the PC is shutdown?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The hardware is all up an running (one wireless cable modem) at shutdown, but the shutdown process does turn off the wireless antenna near the end of the process. But it does that every time. There's nothing else on the network I'm connected to, other than for the computer apparently being passively aware of another computer using the same wireless signal. I do not wirelessly print or mouse etc., just get my Internet signal.

Thanks for taking the time to ponder this.

pg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Microsoft often recommends a clean boot process to diagnose issues. See How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8. If the shutdown issue disappears when you clean boot then you can selectively boot re-enabling one or two things at a time until the problem shows up. Then it should be easier to identify the culprit.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I'll probablty have to take that ditchdigging approach. Naturally, I was hoping for a shortcut. Thanks for your help.

pg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry but troubleshooting startup and shutdown problems is often tedious and time consuming. Good luck with it though.

Joe