Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Read-only files (Word 2000)

At work, some of my Word documents seem to spontaneously turn themselves into "read-only" mode. Yesterday, I opened a document that I had created myself, edited it, then tried to save it. I got the little message that "this document is read-only...." Huh? So I added a character to the file name, saved it "as...," then deleted the original file and renamed the new one. This seems to happen most often when I have the document open for, say, an hour or so. Any ideas on why this happens and what I can do to prevent it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Read-only files (Word 2000)

May I ask where that 'read only' file was physically located - network drive, local drive, diskette, or where?
    This is useful information.

Bob_D

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The files usually reside on a network drive. I'll bet that has something to do with it, huh?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Typically, a document is opened in read-only mode when someone else had the document open before you opened your copy. In that case, the words "(Read-Only)" should have appeared after your filename in the Word title bar.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lucas,
    If the documents that become 'read only' reside in a specific network folder and no one has them open when you attempted to update them, then check with the system admin for your rights to that folder.
    You must have read, write and modify access.
    With read and write only, you can obviously read and add documents but cannot change them.

Good luck,
    Bob_D