New Lounger
    Thanks

Download Windows 8

I would like to download Windows 8 to my computer, located in Texas and burn the iso to a DVD and mail the DVD to my son in Missouri, who is in the process of building a PC, and probably will not get it finished until Feb due to shortage of funds. By that time the windows 8 @ $39.95 download will increase according to Microsoft. Can this be done ? Thank's for any information.

Thanks
    Mix, Welcome to the Lounge.

Unfortunately, using the Upgrade Media ($40) to install on a PC without a qualifying OS does not conform to the Eula. This would require a Full Install, OEM (system builder) edition. To legally use the Upgrade Media, whether from direct download and burn to DVD or purchasing a DVD from MS or a reseller, there must be a qualifying OS on the HD that is replaced by the Upgrade Media, even when doing a Clean Install from the DVD.

The other thing to keep in mind, the free Media Center offer expires on Jan 31st, 2013.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok thank's very much.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    However, if he has an older full product copy of XP, Vista, or Windows 7 he could use the upgrade media.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No he does not have any previous OS software, as he had purchased a used computer and the power supply or something burned out. now he is in the process of building a complete new machine. The reason I had asked, that the latter part of October I ordered Windows 8 upgrade disk and a new hard drive from Newegg,as they had run a special for $59.99. So I installed the new drive and formatted it, then I took the Win 8 upgrade and did a complete clean install, so I know that can be done. And I assumed that I could download Win 8 upgrade from Microsoft, burn a ISO to DVD and send it to him.

Thanks
    That is true. If he has a licensed copy of an OS that is not being used, have him do a basic install, then use the DVD you make to Clean Install Win 8. There just needs to be a licensed OS that is being replaced to allow the Upgrade to be used, even for a Clean Install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Try to purchase a licensed copy of XP cheap. Then use that as the validator for the Windows 8 upgrade.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Try to purchase a licensed copy of XP cheap. Then use that as the validator for the Windows 8 upgrade.
    Or better yet buy a licensed copy of Vista. You can probably get it cheaper than XP, and you can get it in 64 bit, so that you can install 64 bit Windows 8 Pro.

Thanks
    You don't really need to have a qualifying OS preinstalled on your computer before hand.
    There is a degree of fudge here that will allow one to work around it. If MS was really concerned about it they would have
    disabled this type of option.

Whatever you decide to do, you had better have a workable backup and recovery regimen in place.

How to Do a Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

The WindowsEightForum has an article that will show you how to do a clean install of the Windows 8 upgrade version from a formatted disk.

There are several caveats here;
    1 Must have created a bootable install disk of either USB or DVD type. (must be a boot install obviously)
    2 Will need to perform an OS "refresh" after you have just clean installed. (not an issue as it's quick and easy)
    3 You will not retain the licensing rights to your previous OS. (not an issue in this instance)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-12-07 at 18:55.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Clint, I did that on my desktop and I figured it could be done on my son's so I will purchase the $39.99 Win 8 pro from Microsoft and burn the ISO using Imgburn making it bootable and mail the DVD to him. It should be legal to do that. Apparently I didn't make it clear as to what I was trying to do. Thank you very much.

Thanks
    This is not a legal recourse if my understanding of the MS Eula and Help and Support is correct:

From MS Help and Support:
    "What about upgrading the software? The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded." Thanks to bbearren for posting this quote in another thread.
    This is exactly what is being described here, installing Win 8 Pro via the "Upgrade License" and keeping the Win 7 OS in place, or installing Win 8 Pro onto a new PC without having a qualifying OS already in place that can be replaced using the upgrade media. To be legal, you must purchase the Full Install, OEM edition.

Now will MS come after every person that installs in this manner, probably not. Does it make it legal, not in my opinion.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-08 at 07:31.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The questionable part to all of this is;
    Would you still be able to reinstall the OS that you had originally used to download
    a purchased copy of Windows 8 upgrade on.

The answer is probably no.
    I don't know if MS makes a note of the license of your previous, or the OS you used to download Windows 8 upgrade on, thereby
    rendering it useless (rejected activation) the next time you go to reinstall.

To be on the safe side you might do well to get the full non upgrade version.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.