Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

New 95 through XP computers?

Are there any desktops, laptops, or motherboard/microprocessor combos being manufactured now that have XP as a "first language"? Hardware and software that "support" or "emulate" XP don't work well (sometimes not at all).

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can find a few shops that will still build to order a machine preloaded with XP but the big OEMs will not provide one. XP drivers for periperhal devices is becoming harder to find too.

If you really need XP, get a Windows 7 PC that supports XP mode. XP mode works very well to run program and devices that won't work with newer OSes. Even though Microsoft has not announced an end date for Windows 7 sales you should not wait long.

Joe

Thanks
    Go to tigerdirect.com, and look at the refurbished PCs. You can find some good deals there on computers with XP.

Don't waste your money with the extended warranty. If anything is wrong with the computer, you have to ship the whole thing back. For example, if the DVD drive is bad, they won't send you a replacement drive; you have to return the entire PC for them to evaluate, to see if it's a bad drive. Total hassle and they know that you'll never actually use the warranty, unless the PC is, in fact, bad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bayardks View Post
    Hardware and software that "support" or "emulate" XP don't work well (sometimes not at all).
    Unless you have some software that you know won't work in a virtual XP window, don't assume it won't. It likely will, unless it is really unusual. In this way, you can have an up-to-date computer and still run your old software.

Having said that, I recently purchased a Windows XP refurb from Tiger Direct, because my wife uses AutoCAD 2007, which won't work in anything newer than XP. Rather than try XP Mode with Windows 7, I went with an XP computer. I'm guessing it would have worked in XP mode, but since it is critical for her that it work, I went with an XP computer.

Thanks
    One other thing about XP mode -- if you do go that route, you'll need to have anti-virus software, AND keep up with your Windows updates, in the virtual machine as well as the actual machine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. Some background: I have several desktops and laptops running Win 7. I also have one laptop that I bought during the 95-XP era that I have preserved. My main use for XP is for simulation programs such as Links and other higher than average frame rate programs such as the Myst series all of which simply do not work with Win 7. I have tried the XP mode in Win 7, but the programs crawl.

I guess that if no main line manufacturer is making an XP machine, I will look into the refurbs you mentioned.

Administrator
    Thanks
    How do you have XP mode configured? Have you increased the RAM available? How much RAM is available on the host system?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your advice. Here's as much data as I think might be important. Host system: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L, Intel Q9650 @ 3GHz, 8 GB, Win 7 Pro 64 bit, My previous experience with XP Mode was a few years ago on a computer that is long gone, so I installed it on my current desktop just now. I downloaded and installed Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP mode. I made sure that the BIOS allowed Virtual. I set the memory at 3712MB. For a test I installed Minigolf by Sierra because it is simple and has movement. It runs fine on my old XP laptop. But on this new setup the execution stopped every few seconds as though it needed to catch up. This is the problem I recall from my previous test of XP mode. In several places Microsoft describes the XP mode as useful for productivity applications - that tells me that it is not intended for gaming. (By the way, I did all of this installation and testing using a clone of my C:\ drive so that I could simply remove the clone and put in the original C:\ to return the system to its pre XP mode state.)

Bayard

Thanks
    HP XP desktop computer -- $120, free shipping:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...801&CatId=5139

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice little system, I have a Dell that's similar, only problem is any workload kicks the fan into high gear; those P4s are hot. Once in a while I would run across a dual core 3.16 GHz small form factor business unit that had been running Vista Business and was upgraded to XP via the Business option. Those are screaming deals sometimes in the $170-200 dollar range but they might be all but extinct now.

If you get a game to play in virtual (the biggest step), you can get quite good performance running the VM from a dedicated SSD drive and using VMWare Player instead of Virtual PC, which still has better graphics support I believe.

I'm typing this on a Win 7 system that I'm remoted into with Win 8 virtual machine, which in turn I'm running on an XP host. I don't have any performance issues because the VM is on a separate SSD. In general though, it really isn't for gaming, or advance hi-def video editing, it will still have shortcomings compared to a stand alone system.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. I went to Tiger Direct and ordered one that looks like it would be a good fit for my needs.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool You could also try VirtualBox from Oracle

Sorry this is a little late, since you have already bought a refurb'd XP box, but should this issue come up again, FWIW you might want to try out VirtualBox from Oracle (go to https://virtualbox.org). It is free for your own use (I think there is a nominal fee for business use in an office environment, but I don't know how much $$). I have both XP Mode and VirtualBox VMs set up on my Win7-64-bit PC, having similar specs to yours. There are a very few programs I have found that do not work with XP Mode, however XP Mode is not always stable, very slow to load and shut down, and slow running more sophisticated programs (I run some old P3 scheduling and Schedule Analyzer Pro software, and even an old version of PrintShop Deluxe on it). I have found that I can never minimize the XP Mode VM and do anything else when running those sophisticated programs, or the whole VM crashes. PrintShop Deluxe takes over 2-min. to load, but runs okay after that. I use the VirtualBox VM for a lot of other stuff, having XP, Win8 and WinSrvr2003 all running in their own sessions (not simultaneously), and the only instability has been from the Win8 use, which is newly installed and consistently fails only upon closing that session, which brings down the whole VirtualBox setup. Otherwise, although noticeably slower than native OS use, they all seem to run faster than the XP Mode from Microsoft. There is a little more setup required, and integration with your other devices is a little less automated, and you will need to load the VM's OS from your own licensed CD/DVD (whereas XP Mode is a fully licensed OS as part of Win7). But if you want more speed, and other options for more advanced OSes, this seems to be the way to go. Hope this helps. Good luck. Rob
    Last edited by rbsteinbach; 2012-12-13 at 11:27.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bayardks View Post
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. I went to Tiger Direct and ordered one that looks like it would be a good fit for my needs.
    What you bought probably has 1GB of RAM; you can probably bump it up to 4GB pretty cheaply. You'll then have a very nice XP machine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Once in a while I would run across a dual core 3.16 GHz small form factor business unit that had been running Vista Business and was upgraded to XP via the Business option.
    "Upgraded" from Vista to XP? My sentiments exactly!

New Lounger
    Thanks

One other option...

A little late but here it is. Have you heard of "GOG" (as I recall it's short for 'Good Old Games.')

Totally legit as far as I know. They redo and update old games to be win7 compatible. I bought Alpha Centauri from them and had no problems. (Not only is it wide-screen compatible now but you can mouse-scroll in menus which never worked for me even in XP!) The games are pretty cheap too, generally 2.99-9.99.

I only mention it since I noticed some Myst titles in one of their recent promos.

Edit: BTW, it may look a little fishy being my first post but I'm not spamming. Honest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast