Thanks

Can't open doc or change restrictions

My son is trying to open a Word document from the web on his computer for his homework. It is a Ctrl + Click to open. However he is getting this and it wont let him open the document. I checked and he is the admin on the computer.
    What else should I look at.

John

Capture 01.PNG
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2013-01-04 at 14:02. Reason: Forgot attachment
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Try running Policy Editor, and changing the Windows policy that is causing the restriction:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...itor-open.html

Thanks
    Ok, that went right over my head, but be that as it may, his laptop is running Home Premium and according to your link, the Policy Editor is not available on that edition. Next?

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Since you are trying to open a document from the web, it looks like a hyperlink problem. See if the answers given in these links help:

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...a-beb98109b5a6

Jerry

Thanks
    Hi John,
    tell you offspring to upload it to SkyDrive then click to open it. I know this wont solve your problem.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Microsoft Fix It works well for some people with the same error message (and it's often caused by uninstalling Chrome): Unable To Click on links within outlook emails

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Ok, that went right over my head, but be that as it may, his laptop is running Home Premium and according to your link, the Policy Editor is not available on that edition. Next?

John
    John: There is a policy set in Windows that is preventing the OP from being able to directly open a link. Policy Editor is a program that lets you make changes to Windows policies such as this one.

I knew that he didn't have the correct version of Windows 7 for Policy Editor; but I posted it anyway, to try to point him in the right direction.

A work around would be to right-click on the link and choose "Copy Hyperlink". Then paste the hyperlink into your browser window and hit ENTER.

Thanks
    Thanks All for your suggestions and help. I had him try the link on my laptop running I.E.10, and it opened the link just fine. After trying several suggestions I ended up editing the registry, and that took care of the problem.
    thanks again.
    Thanks John