New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 embedded product key

My existing main win 7 HDD (#1) was cloned to another Win 7 HDD (#2). My objective is to install/upgrade Win 8 to the clone #2 to try out, yet still have the option to re-connect Win 7 #1 (only) on the same mobo. Question, if I install win 8 on clone #2, the product key apparently is embedded in the bios-hardware. Once win 8 is installed, can I re-connect win 7 #1 and boot up, or will the embedded Win 8 product key prevent this or create issues?

MS support is ambiguos and tells me sure you can, but the explanations appear uncertain. Anyone have a clue about this issue?

Thank you,
    Washton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

You can setup a dual boot system and not have to worry about disconnecting and reconnecting drives. I have not done this but many here have. I'm sure someone will chime in soon that can give you more precise directions.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

washton (2012-12-07)

Thanks
    I also would like to welcome you to the Lounge.

The problem I foresee is a legal one. If you purchase Win 8 Pro ($40) to try it, using the Upgrade Media, even in a dual boot scenario would require you to replace a qualifying OS. It is technically possible to do this, but I could not tell you to do so because it is my belief it would run afoul of the Eula.

Now if you had an unused OS that was not upgraded to Win 7, then this could be placed on Disk 2 and then Win 8 Pro could be legally installed in the dual boot. The first thing I would do is create an Image of your Disk ! and store it on an Ext HD. I would also rename the disks so they are easily distinguished. I would label Disk 1 as Win 7, then label the OS as something else that is easy to tell apart from Disk 1. This will make it easy to make sure you format the correct Disk. It's easy to screw this up so be careful which OS you are using and booting to.

The method to do this would be to format disk 2 during the installation. After the purchase screens, at some point you will be given the following screen:

14.jpg

Choose the Media Option and burn the ISO file to DVD or Flash Drive. Boot to this media, choose Custom Install. On the next screen is an option for Advanced Disk Options. Choose this. Select Disk #2 and choose Format. Once formatted the installation will continue on this disk.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

washton (2012-12-07)

Thanks
    According to the EULA, upgrading to Windows 8 invalidates the license of the Windows version that is being upgraded, replacing that license with the Windows 8 upgrade license. In other words, you can't legally dual boot using the original Windows 7 - it is no longer a licensed OS.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

washton (2012-12-07)

Thanks
    Dual booting is simpler than the clone wars you currently have in mind.
    Search for how to articles on dual booting with Windows 8 that post date the Windows 8 release date.
    Here's one:
    How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8
    Here's another:
    How to Install Windows 8 Without Ditching Windows 7
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

washton (2012-12-07)

Thanks
    Yes this is technically possible, but is it legal? I guess this follows the similar discussions we had when Win 7 came out and the double install scenario was shown to be possible. Possible, but legal????
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

washton (2012-12-07)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Yes this is technically possible, but is it legal? I guess this follows the similar discussions we had when Win 7 came out and the double install scenario was shown to be possible. Possible, but legal????
    Not according to Microsoft. From Windows 8 Help and Support: "What about upgrading the software? The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded."

That's pretty cut and dried - "may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way." Dual boot falls under "any way", I would presume.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

washton (2012-12-07)

Thanks
    That is my understanding as well. I wanted to "soft sell" the fact that keeping and using both OSs would not be legal. That's why I replaced both of our Win 7 OSs with Win 8 Pro.

If you absolutely must have both OSs, you MUST buy the Full Install, OEM version, the so called Builder's Edition. This will give you a fully licensed Win 8 Pro installation without touching the Win 7 license.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-08 at 07:20.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by washton View Post
    My existing main win 7 HDD (#1) was cloned to another Win 7 HDD (#2). My objective is to install/upgrade Win 8 to the clone #2 to try out, yet still have the option to re-connect Win 7 #1 (only) on the same mobo. Question, if I install win 8 on clone #2, the product key apparently is embedded in the bios-hardware. Once win 8 is installed, can I re-connect win 7 #1 and boot up, or will the embedded Win 8 product key prevent this or create issues?

MS support is ambiguos and tells me sure you can, but the explanations appear uncertain. Anyone have a clue about this issue?

Thank you,
    Washton
    I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, but if you want to evaluate Windows 8, you can go to

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/e.../hh699156.aspx

Scroll to the bottom of the page, and download the Windows 8 Enterprise 90-day Evaluation

You have your choice of 32-bit or 64-bit. As the name implies, it turns into a pumkin after 90 days, but it's free, and you will have plenty of time to decide whether you want to spring for the $40.00 dollar upgrade.