Lounger
    Thanks

Can't get holidays for 2002 in Outlook98 (Outlook98, version8.5.5104.6 nor

In our company there are several users that experience problems with adding holidays for 2002 to their calendar. The holidays are added to earlier years in the calendar (from 1998 through 2001). I have tried to change the computer date to 2002, but is doesn't help.
    Anyone out there with same problems?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't get holidays for 2002 in Outlook98 (Outlook98, version8.5.5104.6

did 98 have holidays that went thru 2002? you can check by looking at the outlook.txt file - it should be in the office directory.

also, i believe there is a usable version here from outlook2002. search for outlook.hol or outlook.zip. I posted the file and someone else edited it so it would work on win9x systems. (My copy is for win2k and winxp). The file is the same as the one for ol98, just change the extension to txt.

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Outlook98 have holidays that goes through 2002. Some of our employees have managed to add these holidays.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "usable version" from Outlook2002. Can I use this in a network environment?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

maybe a later build of Ol98 went higher than 2001 or they upgraded from 97, which i think went to 2006, although it's been years since i used ol97. (if you have any outlook97 installs or even a cd, search for outlook.txt and use it)

usable copy = the copy i posted works only on WinNT, because it uses unicode fonts. i think someone corrected it so it works on win9x. one of those should work for you.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't get holidays for 2002 in OL98 - solved!

Thank you MJ
    Some of the users have had Oulook97 on their machines, and upgraded to Outlook98. The old outlook.txt-file was not replaced in the upgrade.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't get holidays for 2002 in OL98

Glad you had brought this subject up in order to give me a CLUE as to why no one in our company was having any luck with our calendars showing holidays for 2002. However, we are running a variety of versions of Outlook -- from 98 to 2002 (XP) and we have no holidays coming up. Now we need to find a way of updating 1000 machines with a new version of outlook.txt??? Why does this file not update when you upgrade?
    Tracy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the outlook.txt file is imported by the user into their mailbox. it should have been replaced when upgrading (by outlook.hol for ol2002 users) but would still need imported into the mailbox by each user.

I would probably cheat and import it on one machine, locate those calendar items and copy to an email - then send (as RTF) to all other users, instructing them to select all, drag and drop the calendar items off the mail and into the calendar folder.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, this is strange (why does Microsoft do this?)

I wanted to try out what MJ said on my machine before referring it to anyone else. I have XP(2002) on mine (unlike most of the company, which is running Outlook 98). I had previously found the outlook.hol file, running it from the file did nothing. I had been unable to get 2002 holidays in my XP as well, just like those in the company running 98.

So after MJ's post, I split window -- Outllook 2002 on one side, Explorer on the other directed to the path of outlook.hol. I dragged & dropped outlook.hol from it's location directly onto my calendar icon in Outlook. Then from inside Calendar, I re-ran outlook.hol file, and Eureka! my holidays appeared.

This sure seems to be a lot of steps for something that should have just automatically happened when I did the upgrade.

Pribb

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

well... that's not the normal way to add holidays and i'm surprised it worked. Did you get the holidays for all countries added?

The expected method is from tools | options | calendar | add holidays button and select the countries you want.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW, double clicking on the HOL file works for me - it brings up the add holiday dialog that appears when you go through tools | options | calendar.

I'm using ol2002 and winxp and the hol file type is registered as an Outlook holiday file.

the txt file that holds holidays for ol98 will need added using the tools | options method.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MJ -- yes, I know that was non-standard. I only tried that after the normal tools-options-calendar options - add holidays didn't work when we tired it originally!

For all the pre-Outlook 2002 users in the building, I just pushed out a new outlook.txt file for them to use in place of their current, old file. Found one that goes through 2006 here:

http://copernico.mty.itesm.mx/~tempo...cs/OUTLOOK.TXT

I don't know why my outlook.hol file in XP didn't run for me through the standard method. I'm on WIndows 2000 instead of WinXP, but that shouldn't make a difference.

pribb