Thanks

Finding and Using Windows 8 Recovery Tools

This from Infopackets: (Of course, there are other means of backup and recovery, such as using Acronis True Image 2013 or other third party software)

http://www.infopackets.com/news/soft...very_tools.htm

"Few people have reported major problems with Windows 8 so far (aside from an unfamiliar layout and certain longstanding Windows 7 features suddenly becoming unavailable). But there is always the possibility that a significant issue with the system could arise at some time in the future.
    And of course it's fairly common for both software and hardware to experience minor and major problems that make accessing your computerized data difficult or even impossible.
    That's why one of the first things every Windows 8 owner should do is create their own recovery media. In the event that anything goes wrong, this will provide an alternate path to boot their PC and regain access to their data.
    The process of creating recovery media in Windows 8 has changed a little from Windows 7. Among the most noticeable differences is that the process can now run on both disc-based media and USB-based media.

Creating a Recovery Drive in a Few Easy Steps

To begin, press the Windows Key + C, and change the view to 'Settings.' Now enter 'Recovery' in the 'Search' box. The system will prompt the user to connect a USB flash drive. This is the option we'll cover in this article.
    The individual will then click 'Create a Recovery Drive' from the search results, before selecting the connected USB device and pushing the 'Next' button.
    If optical media (CD-RW or recordable DVD) is preferred, there is also an option titled 'Create a system repair disk with a CD or DVD instead.'
    Windows 7 veterans will remember that the optical media choice was the only one available in Microsoft's previous operating system. (Source: mswinupdate.com)
    Note carefully the system's warning that everything currently stored on the selected drive will be deleted as part of the formatting process. When ready, click 'Create.'
    Windows 8 will now ready and format the selected drive.
    Now, should your Windows 8 system give you any trouble, you can plug in this USB drive and access the necessary tools and files to have a fighting chance to bring your system back to normal.

Recovery Tools Accessible in Other Ways

Windows 8 users can also access these same recovery tools in other ways, without having to first plug in a USB drive.
    If Windows 8 setup media is available on the PC, that feature can be used to access the system's recovery tools. Alternatively, the individual can click 'Repair Your Computer' on the 'Install Now' screen. (Source: winsupersite.com)
    Another approach is to boot the operating system (assuming it works) and navigate to 'PC Settings,' 'General,' and then 'Advanced Startup' to access the exact same toolset."
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-08 at 07:07. Reason: Edited for ease of viewing
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

Medico (2012-12-08)

Thanks
    Peter, Thank you for your addition to the Win 8 Forum. In addition to these methods, if people that install Win 8 would choose to Install by creating Media during the installation they would get an installation media that also includes the recovery tools discussed in this article. For those that just followed the installation without making the media, these methods should help during that inevitable problem that crops up.

I also use Acronis True Image 2013 on a monthly basis. After each patch Tuesday I create a new Image (this keeps my Images up to date) and re-run File History. I feel very comfortable that when disaster strikes again (yes I often cause "disasters" on my PC by playing with many different things) I can quickly restore everything to what it was just before the disaster strikes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy