Thanks

Files lost and found!

I haven't ever had THIS happen before:

I backed up and verified my system with Acronis True Image. I saw it, and then it was GONE. 100 GIGS, gone.

Since I had re-installed Windows after the backup in order to cure internet connection issues, I had lost everyting...So I started rebuilding what I could of the data that I did have.

Just now, twelve long hours later, I FOUND ALL THE FILES -- in a "found.000\dir0000.chk folder.

Now, I know -- barely -- enough to understand what happened. I do wish MS could have given me some type of heads up so that I could have had so idea. Anyway...

Are those files "safe" or are they waiting to be deleted? Do I need to back them up or copy them off or...?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Where and how did you back up the files? Are you talking about creating an Image, or something else?

When I create an Image using Acronis, I have Acronis place that Image on an Ext. HD. I believe the Acronis ext is .tib

This is what my Seagate Ext HD looks like (Just my Images) I also have my wife's and granddaughters Images stored. I also use File History (a Win 8 feature) to back up all our data onto the Ext. HD. We each have our own Folder for our Images, and File History created a folder and divided out data into our own subfolders.

MyImages.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    That suggests that there was an issue with the file system and chkdsk created the folder where you have found the files.

Thanks
    Are those files "safe" or are they waiting to be deleted? Do I need to back them up or copy them off or...?
    As Rui said, the "found" files and folders are created by chkdsk when it corrects disk corruption and is unable to leave them in their original location. They should be good but may need file/folder name correction in some cases.

Jerry

Thanks
    Rui/Jerry/Ted;

At least I found them, and they are "safe!" They were/are a full disk image, made using Acronis 2011, putting them on an external hard drive. Strange that there was some issue with the images themselves? Or is that Acronis' way of signaling a problem with the files that were backed up? Obviously I guess that means I should run a chkdsk before doing a backup, eh?

I have moved the files over to my system disk.

All I know is I am a happy -- or at least relieved -- camper!

Thanks,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    This has nothing to do with Acronis. This was done by a chkdsk, that if you did not start, was started by Windows, during a boot.

Thanks
    Ah... But wouldn't it have been Acronis' writing? I mean, I understand that no one/ nothing is flawless. I also know that I have used Acronis for years now -- thanks to Doc's recommendation -- without issue. Is it something that goes on all the time [the chkdsk] in the backup process, and this just was my time "at bat"? Should I be running chkdsk or some such myself before any backup?

All I know is I feel pretty lucky right now, and I want to avoid a repeat.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Administrator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

Acronis just writes its files and, once written, they aren't modified again. I am guessing here that Windows detected some disk issues and ran chkdsk automatically, on boot. As explained before, to fix the issues, chkdsk created the found.000 folder and moved there all the files / folders it could not fully recover.

Thanks
    Once you KNOW everything is correct, pop in the Acronis Rescue Disk, boot to Acronis and create your Image from the disk. This takes Windows completely out of the Imaging process. Even though my Acronis True Image 2013 works perfectly well from within Windows, I have gotten into the habit of ALWAYS creating my monthly Images from the Rescue Disk.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-12-10)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Suggest Monitoring Drive(s)

I would also suggest you check your drive(s) with HD Tune. Download a trial copy and thereby get another diagnosis of drive conditions.

http://www.hdtune.com/