2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What is Bitdefender QuickScan?

A few days ago, a small box began to appear in the lower right hand corner of the screen when I start FireFox or Internet Explorer. This small box says, "Bitdefender QuickScan - You haven't scanned your computer in a while. Would you like to start Quickscan now?"

I don't think I have ever seen this box before. I'm looking at it right now. The box is still there even though I have run a quick scan by Microsoft Security Essentials with no problems found. I don't remember doing anything unusual in the last few days, and I don't surf to unusual sites or download questionable email attachments or anything else. There are no other indications of any virus infections or anything else wrong with my PC.

When I google Bitdefender, there seem to be legitimate hits and information about it, but I don't know why this box would be occuring now or how to get rid of it.

Does anybody know what Bitdefender really is, why it would have suddenly shown up, and how to get rid of it ?

Thanks for any responses.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Generally there are 2 types of scans, full scan and quick scan. The full scan should be run once a AV or Malware app is installed. After that the quick scan runs a scan on specific files that commonly are attacked and changed files on your PC. It is generally much quicker and is a tool many use on a weekly basis whereas the full scan is generally run less frequently, perhaps on a monthly basis.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, but I didn't install Bitdefender that I know of. Any idea why it would be showing up now?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Sorry, I did not see in your original post where you said you had not installed Bitdefender. It is a legitimate app, but one that has lost favor with many of us. I tried it a couple of years ago and was underwhelmed with it's performance, and did not like it's get in your face approach. It might have been piggybacked on something else you installed. Bruce has show a good approach for it's uninstallation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your advice and suggestions. However, nothing has worked so far.
    1. BitDefender does not show up on the Add/Remove Programs list, so I couldn't remove it there (this is Windows XP, not Windows 7/8).
    2. I downloaded the Uninstall tool mentioned by BruceR and ran it. It took over five minutes, and appeared to run through its removal procedures three times, but finally said it was finished.
    3. BitDefender is still listed as an AddOn in Firefox. I disabled it, but it didn't disappear when I ran the removal tool. I didn't see an option to actually delete an Addon from FireFox, but maybe that needs to be done.

After all this, the BitDefender Quickscan message still appears when I start Firefox. (It doesn't appear when I start Internet Explorer - I was incorrect in my first post).

The situation seems very odd to me.

Thanks for any other comments or suggestions.

Thanks
    Have you run malware apps? This might be piece of malware that is simulating Bitdefender. I would try MalwareBytes Antimalware to start.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Use a utility such as Autoruns or WhatInStartup to see & manage what is being start when you boot the PC. If you are not sure of any entry post a screenshot and someone here will help.

NOTE: Autoruns displays an enormous amount of information. Use the Logon tab for Autoruns.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could look for npqscan.dll: Bitdefender QuickScan Frequently Asked Questions (Q13: How do I uninstall QuickScan from my Browser?)

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to BruceR for the suggestion to look for npqscan.dll. I did that, and used the instructions at:
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...s-fix-problems
    to find the location of the Bitdefender Quickscan plugin, which I finally found at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ethqk5p.default\ext ensions\{e001c731-5e37-4538-a5cb-8168736a2360}\plugins\npqscan.dll

Firefox listed the plugin as: Version: 0.9.9.119 Bitdefender QuickScan Web Netscape Plugin

So I deleted this .dll file. Then I deleted the other four copies of this file which I found in C:\RECYCLER and emptied the Recycle Bin. And finally, I rebooted.

And guess what - the Bitdefender Quickscan box was still there when I start Firefox, so it had to must be coming from elsewhere.

But THEN, I opened Firefox again, went to Tools->AddOns and clicked on "Extensions" instead of "Plugins." And there it was: Bitdefender Quickscan. So I removed it from Extensions and Bitdefender Quickscan box went away.

So the solution was to remove the Extension rather the Plugin. I still don’t know how this extension got installed and/or activated, although I am glad that both the Extension and the Plugin are gone.

Thanks again to everybody who commented, and I will mark this thread as solved.

Thanks
    I assume there was no indication on FF where this extension might have come from. I suppose it could have been a piggyback on some free S/W at some point in time in the past. Oh well, glad you found the problem. Very strange.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted