1. Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE10 not remembering passwords

I am using IE10 in Windows 7 and in most cases after I shut down my computer or restart it will not stay logged in to most sites.
    These are common Web sites that with IE9 it always stayed logged on automatically like this site, Yahoo,Netflix and Facebook ect.
    I did a Google search and it seems this is a known problem but there was no consensus on how to fix it other than the obvious of checking the settings. One site even said it had to do with do not track being turned on.I was dubious but tried it anyway but it didn't help.
    I use CCleaner but I have it set not to delete cookies and I haven't changed any settings since installing IE10.
    anybody else having these problems and any ideas how you might fix this?
    Although in most cases I really like IE10 because of this and other minor glitches I am beginning to think its not quite ready for prime time.
    Barry

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    In CCleaner, go to Options Cookies and choose the cookies you wish to keep and move them to the right side of the Window. I realize you said you do not remove cookies, but this further option might help.

In IE 10, Internet Options, in Browser History section, select Delete and ensure the Cookies are not checked here, and that Preserve Favorites Website Data is checked. If you wish you can check everything else or not as you wish.

As a last thing, you might wish to consider not using IE to store passwords. It is much less secure than a 3rd party Password Manager such as Last Pass. It is a Password Manager, form filler and is much more secure than IE. All you need to remember is a master password (and even that can be set to always keep the Master Password to sign onto Last Pass automatically) I have my history set to delete all history when I shut down my browser. I have cookies unchecked in Internet Options and I have set CCleaner as I suggest above. My sites all sign on automatically for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

bwc (2012-12-10)

5. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted
    Thanks for the advice. I unchecked the Cookies option in Browser history and went ahead and deleted all the browser history.
    After making sure I was logged into all of the sites I mentioned I shut down my computer and restarted it. All the sites were still logged in.
    So far So good but I forgot to mention in my first post that this problem is also somewhat sporadic. Sometimes it will go a day or two and it seems if the problem has gone away then IE will forget the passwords again. I post back in a day or two and let you know.

it has been so long since I deleted cookies in CCleaner and there were so many I just deleted them all. I will start adding all the sites I want it to remember while its a bit more manageable.

Last while I never let IE remember any of my financial or shopping sites I will look again at a password manager.
    the last time I tried and I do not remember who it was it seemed quite confusing for something that I am not really worried about.
    I have been using a PC for 25 years and thanks in no small part to this forum I fill like I use pretty safe browsing habits.
    But as we all know all it takes is one time.
    Barry

6. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted
    When I started my computer this morning all the sites that should log on automatically did. I don't know if it was unchecking the cookies option are adding the cookies in CCleaner but something worked.
    Once again thank you and the all the other people who contribute to this forum. I have learned many good things from this forum over the years.
    I was a longtime reader before I joined in 2010.
    Barry

Thanks
    I'm glad I could help. Yes, the cookies do accumulate to a point it's very difficult to pick which to save in CCleaner. I also did what you are doing. I clean them all, then sigh on to all my sites and set those cookies to be saved. Then I can eliminate all the others as they occur. If I come up with a new site, I can easily add it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

8. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wanted to give a quick update on this problem. It appears to be a compatibility problem between IE10 and CCleaner.
    I started noticing that despite not checking the box to delete cookies and adding my favorite sites for CCleaner to save every time I ran CCleaner I would lose all of my saved passwords.
    I looked at their forums and sure enough there are posts about this.
    as much as I hate losing my favorite tool I uninstalled it a couple of days ago and have had no problems since.
    I am not sure if this is just the preview version for windows 7 or if it also affects windows 8.
    according to the forums CCleaner normally will not fix any issues until the final version of IE10 is released.

Barry

Thanks
    It could be the preview version. I have Win 8 with IE 10 and use CCleaner regularly. I do not see this problem ever.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted
    Yes I believe you are correct.
    Any body else using the preview version with CCleaner and have you had any problems?
    Barry

P.S

Ted
    I took your advice and downloaded Last Pass. I have been using it for about a week.
    Its a nice little program and almost makes it a moot point with the issue I am having with IE10.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Barry

Thanks
    I have been using Last Pass for several years. Works great. If I sign on with a PC other than my own, I can go to the Last Pass site and enter my Master Password and see all my passwords. I also use the Form Fill feature, and have stored all my keys for paid S/W in the Notes section. Just very easy to use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted