New Lounger
    Thanks

Need help with wireless networks

hi there my name is pat, and this is my first post, one of my friends led me to this site claiming that you may be able to help me, now i have the problem occurring with my pc and it has been several months now that it has happened. im really big into teh online gaming and for the past 3 months i have had a issue with my wireless network connections.
    whenever i play a online game my connection will all of the sudden disconect and wen i check what the issue is, it says that im no longer connected to the internet, and under the wireless network tab it says that there are 3 other connections available that are available to connect 2. but i dont know who's internet it is. now my question is how can i get rid of the other networks. because it is really begining to irritate me as they are always checked off to connect automatically. if anyone can help i would appreciate it
    picture provided help...jpg

Thanks
    Most of the wireless networks in your list are probably networks that are close enough for your computer to see them. There is no way to stop them from showing up in the list.

However, some of them may be wireless networks you have connected to in the past, but they are far enough away so that your computer can't see them now (e.g. a hotel you stayed at, where you connected via their wifi). You can remove all such networks from the list.

Right click on the signal strength icon, and choose "Open Network and Sharing Center". Then click "Manage Wireless Networks". If you want to remove a network from the list, right click on it and choose "Remove Network". It will no longer show up in the list of available wireless networks.

Some of these you may want to leave in the list. For example, if you visit Starbucks sometimes, and connect via their wifi, you should leave their network in the list.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Why would you want to visit starbucks? Bad coffee, don't pay their taxes, blah, blah, blah....

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Why would you want to visit starbucks? Bad coffee, don't pay their taxes, blah, blah, blah....

cheers, Paul
    ...and very expensive!

One time recently I had to go to Starbucks to log on; I was out of town and had no other option. I was a bit rattled when I discovered that their wifi is wide-open and unencrypted. So far, so good...
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-12-11 at 14:22.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok well something is up because i have never stayed at a hotel, or visited a starbucks, this is my desktop pc. and wen i open the sharing center and go to the
    manage wireless networks, the only network that appears is my network. the one thing i really dont understand is that wen i click on the other networks. their is a little box checked off that says "automatically connect"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patico20 View Post
    ok well something is up because i have never stayed at a hotel, or visited a starbucks, this is my desktop pc. and wen i open the sharing center and go to the
    manage wireless networks, the only network that appears is my network.
    Did you skip over the "probably" part of the first reply and only read the "may be" part?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Most of the wireless networks in your list are probably networks that are close enough for your computer to see them. There is no way to stop them from showing up in the list.

the one thing i really dont understand is that wen i click on the other networks. their is a little box checked off that says "automatically connect"
    That's just an option for the future if you are going to connect to them. If you don't want to connect to them, don't click on them.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-12-11 at 19:16.

Thanks
    manage wireless networks, the only network that appears is my network. the one thing i really dont understand is that wen i click on the other networks. their is a little box checked off that says "automatically connect"
    Just curious -- you are connecting wirelessly with your desktop? Is this because your computer is in another part of your house, and you don't have a wired connection available in that room?

A wired connection is less complicated than a wireless connection (no security is involved), and there's a lot less chance of interference or a "poor signal". However, if you aren't able to run an ethernet cable into that room, wireless is the way to go.

I ran ethernet cables all over my house by drilling holes in the tops of the closets. The wire went into the closet, up into the attic, then down through the closet of the room where the computer was.

Then I finally went with wireless when my wife got an iPhone and started paying a fortune each month for data charges.