Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 and Windows 8 Install Help (Solved)

I have Windows 7 Pro installed on C:\. I have a second D:\ drive that I run Linux on and have a Data partition. I would like to partition 100 gig for Windows 8 and install it there. Leaving Windows 7 untouched. On Windows 7 I use EasyBCD to boot to my linux partitions and would like to do the same for Windows 8. Has anyone one done this before. I want to try out Windows 8 Before I decided to change.
    Last edited by Harley51; 2012-12-10 at 08:11.

Thanks
    Only if your Windows 8 is a full install version. That scenario isn't legal using the upgrade version.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand that. It's a full version. Now can you answer my question.

Thanks
    Use a 3rd party app such as Partition Wizard to carve out the space you wish to install Win 8 into. It will be easiest if you resize an existing partition on the back end. If you have enough space in C that would be ideal.

Partition Wizard.jpg

Open Partition Wizard mini tool, select the partition you wish to resize, select Move/Resize. The second window will open. Just grab the right side border and drag it to the left. When you get the size you wish, choose Apply.

This will leave unallocated space. Pop in the Win 8 Pro Full Install. OEM DVD and choose Custom Install. Select the unallocated space. The installer will do the rest.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Partitioning is no problem. When I install Windows 8 will it leave my boot loader on windows 7 alone or is it going to try to take over. Like I said I want ti use EasyBCD to boot to Windows 8.

Thanks
    The only way I am aware of to get the Win 8 MBR isolated is to install it on it's own drive while the other OSs are totally disconnected. If you install Win 8 Pro it's MBR will take over. You can change back to the Win 7 MBR by using EasyBCD and changing Win 7 to the default OS. That's the way it worked during the beta testing period. I had Win 7, installed Win 8 CP/RP. The Win 8 MBR took over. Used EasyBCD to set Win 7 as default. This changed the boot loader to the Win 7 boot loader with Win 7 as default.

I cannot swear it will still work in this manner, as I only have Win 8 Pro. I decided I liked Win 8 so well that I said good bye to Win 7 all together.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The Windows 8 loader will take over. It should leave you with the ability to dual boot.

There are a couple of tutorials listed here.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Installing Windows 8 will install it's own boot loader, potentially overwriting the pre-existing EasyBCD loader.

However, this blog entry from Neosmart suggests that EasyBCD v2.2 and above fully supports Windows 8. That being the case, I would install the 90-day evaluation version of Windows 8 to try before you decide. Having installed Windows 8, then install Easy BCD and rebuild the boot loader.

If you install the full retail System Builder licence for Windows 8 and do not like it, you will have wasted a lot of money to find out.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there an easy way to install Windows 8 on a USB drive and the Windows 8 Boot manager install there.

Thanks
    The only version of Win 8 that can be run from a Flash drive, as far as I know, is the Enterprise Edition. There was a thread recently discussing this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    This problem is solved

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley51 View Post
    This problem is solved
    What was the solution?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I added a third drive to my system. Disconnected my Win 7 & Data backup drives then loaded Win 8. This isolated it from touching any other drive. To boot to it I flip the drive arrangement in Bios to boot Win 8 first. Then I use EasyBCD to boot back to Win 7. Nothing gets disturbed during Win 8 testing.

Thanks
    Thanks for providing the solution. Similar to my post #6.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted