Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Another XP question ?

Hello. First, thanks for all the support on my last question . . . print spooler.

I now have the same Thinkpad G41 running XP fine, along with IE 8. No upgrade to IE 9 is allowed. The problem is that I can not go to Chrome as the user is some limited in binary understanding. I also run one here as a twin to the one in question and we both get a yellow banner saying that Gmail will not be useable with IE-8 and that we should upgrade to a better browser, yes ! A Dismiss button is clicked and resolves this.

I was able on my "twin" to upgrade to some improvement and then Gmail cum IE-8 ran good. I was trying, using TeamViewer, to do the same trick on my brother's twin G41 but I could not remember the path that I followed to get this improvement. I tried last night to find out what/how I did this but after 1.5 hour on it, I could not again find it. I clicked all over my screen looking for it but alas !, no joy.

I would like to remain on this IE 8 as my brother is older than I ( ??? ) and has been on a keyboard for only the last 15 months, he is still looking for keys on the KB, that tells a lot. Thanks to TeamViewer, I can help him, he is 300 miles away but we have free phone service to use along with TV.

Of course, any help will be tremendously appreciated. Jean.

Thanks
    You could set Chrome as the default browser, then set all shortcuts to point to whichever browser you want.

For example, to set up a shortcut to Windows Secrets forum, you would put the following in for the Target of the shortcut:
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://www.windowssecrets.com/forums
    Make sure you put "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" in the Start in field.

You could just as easily put Chrome or Firefox into the properties of the shortcut.

In this way, although Chrome is the default Windows browser, it loads whichever browser you want to for the particular web site.

An additional benefit of this method is that everytime you click on one of these shortcuts, a new browser window is opened. If, however, you put only the web address in the shortcut, it will change the address of the browser window you currently have open.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-12-10 at 11:37.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, a large thankyou for your reply.
    The problem is that I can not change the presentation as my brother would be "lost". This is an aspect of the problem that I have to face, he has to have the very same presentation all the time as he does not know much.
    Last evening, I got on my G41, a twin of his, and got Chrome installed. I could not get it to give me Gmail as IE 8 does, sure it ran but the desktop was different, much different.
    I will study your reply a bit more and see if I am missing the point but keep in mind that we are dealing with a very inexperience user here. I will install Chrome again as when I could not get to what I wanted, I restored the G41 to just before.
    You wrote: Make sure you put "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" in the Start in field.
    This might just do it. JP.

Thanks
    In my opinion, my method simplifies everything, because all you need to do is make a shortcut for each website or browser based app. YOU set up the shortcut so that it loads the desired browser.

For further simplification, you can put whichever icon you want for each shortcut.

In case you didn't know this (I didn't know it for a long time), it is really easy to create an icon. Load the pic you want into Paint (perhaps snip the picture from the website in question). Then save it in bitmap format, but with an .ICO extension. You now have a customized icon for each website.

From that point on, your brother simply clicks on the correct icon.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Jim
    Tried as I might, I am not happy at all in using Chrome. I would be happy with it but I would not force it upon my brother. First, it takes all the favorites from Gmail/IE but to access them is arduous for a non competent person and we have to face this situation. The Favs presentation at the top of the screen is enough to disorient him. You and I can hurdle this stump but believe you me, he is from another planet in this regard. I had loaded Chrome again this afternoon, clicked all over it to try and get a close enough approximation of his screen, nogo ! The Favs at the top of the screen is when going to Gmail as you suggested, sure it looks good but this is quite a learning curve for him. I am again and still, looking for this modification that I first was able to install and whne I do, you can bet that I will note the steps so I can duplicate it again.

This is the way things are. I thank you for continued support. Jean.

Thanks
    I don't like Chrome either. In fact, I don't like anything from Google.

For my non-IE browsing, I use Firefox. If I needed something other than that, I'd probably try out Opera.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Jim. I found the solution. To enable IE8 still very useable on XP, one has to install "Google Chrome Frame". Type this into the address bar and it will come on screen for you. Click the appropriate buttons and it will install over IE-8 and you will not longer get the : Your browser is no longer supported by Google. I have cured my two Thinkpads G41 here and I am waiting for my brother to call and join on Teamviewer so I can set up his G41 too. You might not need this correction, I did and I post it here in case others read this forum that might appreciate this cure.
    All the best to you. Jean.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

F.U.N. downtown (2012-12-18)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a good find if I ever need it for someone. I'm afraid we're all going to have to bite the bullet and move to a more recent OS in the not too distant future to maintain complete compatibility with everything. A few of the latest games don't work with XP now and a couple of the latest video editors are only Vista and up.
    At the same time, there will always be a place for XP because there is the opposite problem as well, the latest OSes don't support antiquated but very effective and fun programs from yesteryear. Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942 for example!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello FUN and thanks for the gold star.
    I find it strange that your message says that you can not run your favorite programmes in the latest OS. I use here, all kinds of old programmes that run fine. The main one being Office 2000. Then PF2000, W98 Larousse dictionary, french. Paint shop Pro v,6, also W98 Solitaire, I prefer that one to the latest one, last but not least, Acrobat v,6. I like that one as I know it well and it allows me to edit some .pdf, eg: removing a copyright line so a commercial printer will print a full .pdf for me.
    A few of these necessitated a "Run as Administrator" when installing but they now run. This applied to Paint Shop.
    Just like the " Chrome Frame", when there is a will, there is a way. I am no wiz but I try hard. I wish you the same success.
    My use of XP is due to the old Thinkpads that I use to educate my brother. These machines are not powerfull enough to run a more complex OS, I tried using W-7 on the one here and it ran but is not up to it. Have a great day. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well it's more hit and miss; I have plenty of old software that works fine but here and there, bust. Battlefield 1942 mods just happen to be one of them and rather than slog endlessly through posts hinting at a solution here and there but never seeming to present one; its just easier to keep it where it works all the time. I've even read now that BF 1942 straight up doesn't work with W8, much less the mods, and the game was so popular that a couple of the mods are more extensive than the original game, and of course I don't think any of these serious gaming platforms will run in VM even though they are ten years old. Origin released a free basic version of the game but that doesn't work with the mods, so when it comes to serious gaming spanning more than a few years it can be a bit convoluted. Ironically, Battlefield 3 will not run in XP and when I tried to install Pinnacle Studio 16 upgrade onto XP, the program itself told me to take a hike! No can do, so I checked compatibility and sure enough, cutoff is Vista (SP2). NeroVision 12 (video editor) still works as does CyberLink PowerProducer I believe, but, not VideoStudio X5 from Corel...the landmine field days of XP!

Oh, and my XP systems are as powerful as the W7s and outperform anything else to date. This article had some old tests, well, fresh at the time, that show XP, while not improving at the same rate as W7 (don't know about W8 but probably very similar) when the number of cores rises, its so efficient that it more than makes up for the difference. I see that difference everyday when I'm making long encoding runs, XP just runs away and hides...so I'll be keeping it around for as long as I can.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2012-12-19 at 17:03.