Thanks

Windows 8, the new Marmite

I've been umming and ahhhring about upgrading to Windows 8, reading one post - it's great, then another post - it's rubbish. I decided that the latter posts seem to be either system support people (Win 8 will slow you down while you learn it), or people who don't like change (or at least this change). Note I'm not criticising anyone here - it's just how I perceive the posts. After quite a lot of dithering about I decided that £24.99 to upgrade to Win 8 Pro, is too good an opportunity to miss and I didn't want to be seen as a stick in the mud (which I am at my age). So I've upgraded today. So far so good; no problems with the update and keeping everything in place. I'm just doing my first Macrium Reflect backup, the scanner works and so does the printer. My Office 2003 works as well.
    The only thing that doesn't is Memeo (from Seagate) but that's not really a loss as I normally backup once a week anyway (it does a continuous backup).
    There are one or two things I haven't got the hang of yet (like when clicking on an app, and then another 'page' in that app, I'm not sure how to go back one 'page', but I'm sure I'll soon get the hang of it. I'm determined not to get a start orb app - I'll see if I can do without it.

For those of you who don't know about Marmite - it's a yeast based spread (or drink) and people either love or hate it. They even had a series of ads using this fact.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 1,052 Posts
    Well I have been using Windows 8 with no start orb and you get used to it. I went even so far as to remove all programs from the Start screen but those who have actual live tiles.

Hope you get to speed with Windows 8. There is some good stuff there.

Thanks
    First, take a look at File History to replace Memeo. On the Win 8 Style screen just start typing file history (anywhere on the screen). File History is listed under settings. The first time you run it, it may take a while to finish. Subsequent runs are far quicker as only data files that have changed get updated. I save mine to the same Ext HD I save my monthly Images to.

Many of the Win 8 Style apps will go back a page with the arrow in the upper left hand corner. Left click while on an app brings up many options. Charms bar is different for each app. Check it out.

Many if not most of the Win 8 Style apps are pretty basic. You can however install most if not all of the apps you used in Win 7, and many from Win XP that work fine in Win 8.

Welcome to the fun. I am constantly learning new things about this OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2012-12-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I didn't want to be seen as a stick in the mud
    Somehow Microsoft has put that thought into the public discussion, because this is one of the main reasons people upgrade to the latest Microsoft OS or software.

Thanks
    I can assure you this had nothing to do with M$, it was actually a tongue in cheek comment!!

Thanks
    Thanks Mr Medico, now doing its first run. I can now get rid of the Memeo software and Seagate console (which I never liked).

Thanks
    Glad I could help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Windows 8 isn't that radicle a departure from it's predecessors in terms of usability.
    I dumped the start orb too after a few days of getting a feel for the OS, no big loss, just a different way of going about things.

I don't like Marmite, ...yuk.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Read that marmite is a by product of beer brewing. I get mine through Budweiser.

Thanks
    With regard to File History, I now have all files done yesterday. However, the file I changed this morning hasn't been saved, nor has a new file I created to test this. My setting is hourly and it's turned on. So have I missed something?

Thanks
    I assume the drive you are saving to is attached. In my case it's not normally attached so I have to manually choose Run.

I am not really sure how the automatic feature works. I knows others here are using this feature. Perhaps they can chime in here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    It's now worked. The file was saved at 1223 and was in the 1455 'run'. So hourly seems a bit of a stretch. But at least it worked and it's useful having the history button in file manager.

Thanks
    There is a file history shortcut in Control Panel as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    The only thing that doesn't is Memeo (from Seagate) but that's not really a loss as I normally backup once a week anyway (it does a continuous backup).
    If you check the Seagate site, you will find that they have a Win 8-compatible driver package which includes Memeo (assuming you have a drive similar to mine i.e. FreeAgent GoFlex). Drivers and stuff take a while to turn up once a new system is introduced, so it helps to keep track of what doesn't work and check the web site from time to time.