Thanks

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occu

"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

I have a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar hard drive running in a Thermaltake BlacX external drive enclosure connected to a USB 2.0 port on Windows XP SP3.

I want to use this drive as an external off-site backup.

I've got many of the errors above during my copy of the archive files to the device. BUT, I also get the errors generated when the device is just sitting there doing nothing, as long as the power is on.

I am worried that the backups I copied over MAY possibly be corrupted and therefore would not be useful when needed.

I have tried running a CHKDSK. I didn't get anything really bad and the warning errors continued.

==========
    Command: chkdsk F: /X
    Started: 11:16:36 AM / Completed: 11:17:30 AM
    Errorlevel: 2 - Disk cleanup, such as garbage collection, was performed.

Command: chkdsk F: /X
    Started: 11:17:30 AM / Completed: 11:18:16 AM
    Errorlevel: 0 - No Errors were found.
    ===========

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why these errors are being created and what else i might do about them?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a standard Windows "cannot talk to the disk" error. It is likely to be an interface error if it's an external disk.
    I would try it on another PC and see if it still plays up, if so it's back under warranty. Otherwise it may be your USB controller, or just the port you are using. Try another port.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

ibe98765 (2012-12-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    This is a standard Windows "cannot talk to the disk" error. It is likely to be an interface error if it's an external disk.
    I would try it on another PC and see if it still plays up, if so it's back under warranty. Otherwise it may be your USB controller, or just the port you are using. Try another port.

cheers, Paul
    I tried switching ports and got the same errors - even when nothing was being copied to the device!

I then switched machines from my old WinXP desktop to a Win7 Pro 64 bit laptop. Again, tested by just letting the device be connected w/o moving any data. No problems occurred.

So it appears that my old desktop mobo might be developing some USB controller problems. Oh well. Time to upgrad I guess.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe you could just update your USB controller drivers.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Maybe you could just update your USB controller drivers.
    I doubt it is the drivers at fault. Intermittent errors are usually hardware based. In any case, the manufacturer of the mobo is long defunct.

I forgot that this external mounting device and my computer also have an e-sata connection. The only problem I have with this is that I have to reboot since WinXP doesn't make dynamic e-sata connections.

I successfully connected and re-copied the files w/o any errors using the e-sata connection. So this is for an external off-site backup that I run monthly, I can tolerate having to reboot to plug in and use this device.