Lounger
    Thanks

Printer Paper Sizes

I'm using Office 2003 with Win7 (but this was the same with XP) and HP Photosmart C2780.

When setting margins in Page Setup, MS insists on various minima. These are different depending on the paper size and orientation selected.

If I ignore these minimum sizes, a printer pop-up warns that the margins are too small. If I ignore this, the printer leaves small unprinted margins - but not those specified by MS as the minimum requirements.

But I can select an identical but Borderless paper size and there are not only no warnings but the image printed actually overlaps the paper edges. If, to try to get whole image on the paper without missing those edges, I put small margins on a Borderless paper size, the printer ejects the paper and refuses to print anything!

Some of this wouldn’t be so bad if I could specify a custom borderless paper size: I can in the printer properties but that’s a bit tricky for composing within that size and I haven’t tried it.

Does anyone know :
    (a) why there are any minimum margin requirements if the printer can print borderless
    (b) why borderless prints overlap the paper edges
    (c) why the printer, without warning, rejects the paper if I give margins to a borderless size
    (d) And, I suppose finally, why we need all this complication

Obviously, if anyone has any workarounds, they would be very welcome!

Thanks
    It's the HP drivers that are controlling the minimum border sizes, no MS. Try contacting HP Support to see if they have any workarounds.

Jerry

Thanks
    Some of this is Printer specific, some is driver specific and the rest is MS Office driven. All three work together so I would begin by verifying the latest firmware on the printer, if that is field upgradable, then verify the correct and latest driver for the printer and OS.
    Many printers will print to and over the edge of the paper, but doing this can be very hard on the rollers and make a mess, so drivers try to avoid this to discourage unhappy printer owners.
    Someone may be able to give better information and details if the printer, make & model, OS and driver version were known.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    The HP printer driver is different for XP than for 7, so that might have gotten changed when they created the 7 driver.

If there's not a newer version of the Windows 7 driver, you might try getting an older version. Also, check the list of printers which are compatible with the driver (the info will be available on the HP web site), then try some of those printers' drivers.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the quick responses.

I have all the latest drivers etc, having only recently moved over from XP to 7 and updated everything: my printer appears not to use firmware. This ‘problem’ was the same with XP.

Jwitalka: Office sets the border sizes before it knows what printer I want to use.

RussB: I get the point about making a mess of the rollers. Ink may then be transferred to the backs of following prints and that could be even more annoying.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Williss View Post
    Thanks for all the quick responses.

I have all the latest drivers etc, having only recently moved over from XP to 7 and updated everything: my printer appears not to use firmware. This ‘problem’ was the same with XP.

Jwitalka: Office sets the border sizes before it knows what printer I want to use.
    MS Office will use the "Default" printer as its default, so in reality it always 'thinks' it knows which one you want to use.
    If you design your document around a different "default" printer that may be part of your problem.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Lounger
    Thanks
    RussB. Thanks, its obvious once you know the answer!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's even worse is you choose a paper size that doesn't exists. HP have / had a paper size called A4 small, which isn't possible.

cheers, Paul