3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Watch Out for Windows-oem.com

For whomever this could possibly concern, I discovered this site while exploring my options for a dual boot with Windows XP. The site claims to sell a legitimate XP Pro (via download) for $49.95. Apparently, it is sourced from Germany. I guess at first I was pretty gullible, thinking with the domain name I was at a Microsoft site. Then something just kind of nagged at me, and I did some research, and the consensus is the site is a scam!

Thanks
    Thanks for letting us know.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Exclamation

Definitely don't trust that site.

It may say that it is hosted in Germany (the IP address of the server hosting the site appears linked to a German individual). The site content is full of well crafted words describing what a good deal they are offering, but it's all snake oil and I would not touch them with a barge-pole.

Worse, the registered domain is protected by a privacy service run from Ukraine, which immediately sounds alarm bells.

Even worse, there is a obfuscated javascript unpacker at the bottom of the source code on each page. It's not clear what that is doing but I have seen very similar things on malicious and poisoned sites before.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My pleasure Mrjimphelps!

Tinto Tech, thanks for the extra info. Looks like I dodged a bullet on that one. Phew! Well crafted words is right. Now I just hope my computer did not get infected with anything just from visiting that site.