3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

iSkysoft Video Converter Christmas Giveaway

For whomever might be interested, seems to be a rather highly regarded video converter. If one is wiling to share one's email addy, one can download this $36 software for free, as part of a Christmas giveaway promotion. One of its features also includes the ability to download YouTube videos. It also claims "Easily convert all video files from one format to another with state-of-the-art quality." I was curious, so I bit. Promotion ends December 31. Here is the magic carpet ride:
    http://www.iskysoft.com/promotion/ch...play-game.html

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerard3 For This Useful Post:

F.U.N. downtown (2012-12-27)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks good, I've been using the only free video converter (same type of promo) that I found which could handle a certain flavor of MKV files since Feb of 2010. This one had no problem accepting the format and there where no hiccups in a 10 minute HD test, so I set it to work on about 120 gigs of video, multi-threaded, GPU accelerated, my favorite codec (Xvid) in the dimensions and more than adequate bitrate that I need...looks like the complete package. It's flat-lining right now at a steady 100% workload.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2012-12-27 at 20:16.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cool! I am delighted you are finding it to be worthwhile, F.U.N.downtown. I bet your processors are getting a tad warm.

I haven't used it yet myself, but I wonder if it has the ability to do screen capture like FRAPS?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't checked out the Download or Play sections yet, it's still converting. I'll have to check it out later, I've been using The KMPlayer for continuous frame video capture so I can pick out just the right pic later. That bit of software can have a wide variance of function between versions though, File Hippo.com has a great list of versions going all the way back to 2.93 or so (at 3.4 something now) and I'm using ver. 3.0.0.1441. I've had no luck with the 3.2 versions and held my ground since so I don't know about the 3.3 and 3.4 versions but that's ok because I basically only want it for Xvid AVI continuous frame capture at full quality (BMP).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting. For some reason, I thought you were fond of FRAPS. You sure do know your freewares. My favorite is Irfanview as a graphics viewer. It also is really cool about extracting frames. I bet it could also do it for Xvid avi if you already have any necessary codecs in your system. But I just mention it in case you've never heard of it. Tremendous freeware.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, FRAPS is great for gaming video capture, the snapshot capture feature is not so useful since its set to an interval; might get the cap one is after, might not, and its likely to be blurred, whereas a split second later, movement is less and the cap would have been more sharp.

I actually use Irfanview to put together screensavers with continuous frame captured video sequences; give it a sort of stop animation effect.

There are a lot of programs that can screen cap or extract frames from a video, but KM Player is the only one I've run across that's free and extracts them continuously; If I wanted to I could extract each and every frame from a video as it plays; hundreds of thousands if I had the disk room! Each frame cap from a 1080P video is about 6.4 megs, 30 frames a second...adds up quickly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Say F.U.N.downtown, can you imagine how big those files would be with 4K video? And I'd luv to know 4K 3D! ... Let's see, what comes after terrabytes for drive storage?

Anyway, seems to me that Irfanview is also one of the few graphics apps that supports scanners TWAIN. I've just been away too long. Had a chance to play some with Cyberlink's PhotoDirector, and Oo-la-la, Gerard like! Gerard impressed! Cyberlink's whole suite is sweet!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Agree and agree. I'm one of those viewers who is even dissatisfied a bit by BluRay quality, I can see the compression artifacts and group color encoding effects here and there even on modern mastered digitally sourced video. I know I would fall absolutely in love with 4K, but the technology to conveniently store and access a 4K collection...we're not equipped yet. We'll eventually get there I'm sure just like when we thought DVD quality was huge and now BluRay is huge; but manageable. Question is, will 4K ever move into a consumer-available state of existence? So many are mostly satisfied with streaming on demand on smaller screens that the demand might not ever manifest into consumer grade availability.

The latest version of PhotoDirector and PowerDirector have come a long way in the last few years. I still predominately use Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop though because they will run in any environment while PhotoDirector will often not run in VM or in remote desktop and I like to have a ubiquitous, works anywhere anytime workflow, instead of trying to keep track of which program will run properly in which environment. That's the only complaint I have about it though.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, 4K displays are here, and only 17 grand for an 84 inch model from LG. Before 4Ks are anything more than HD upscalers though, gotta figure out the delivery method. I don't think HDMI supports anything more than 1080P right. Does display port support 2160P? The new spec for BluRay will go up to 128 Gigs, which is enough to contain most movies if the compression rate is linear (4x whatever the HD size is).

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it shall be though. I subscribe to NetFlix BluRay plan and its already difficult enough to get all that one desires in BluRay format. The distributors are releasing on DVD and delaying BluRay distribution to rental firms to try and sell as many disc at retail as they can first (and it leaves me thinking, what a ripoff, I'm paying extra for BluRay and only DVD is available). So I get all excited about Game of Thrones season one coming out; and its only in DVD for another 4 or 6 months, then finally BluRay. What happens to that crazy digital pecking order if yet another layer of quality is introduced? I'd be perfectly happy if they would just forget about DVD altogether, nothing but BluRay, even if its mastered from some old bad copy of a movie.

Anyway, UltraHD gets me a lot more interested than 3D ever did, that's for sure.