Star Lounger
    Thanks

Work Menu contents has gone AWOL

Did a scan using the new version of Spybot yesterday and it removed several things I wasn't expecting! Most I have now managed to restore but one that hasn't returned is the contents of my (very useful) Work Menu in Word (2002). I thought that putting back an old version of the Normal template would do the trick but, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have done so. Can anyone help please?

Many thanks.

PS Does anyone also know how to set Spybot so it doesn't do this again!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this: (from http://www.computertim.com/howto/art...ic=word&idn=50)
    1. Click the Tools menu and select "Customize...".

2. Click the "Commands" tab.

3. From the "Categories:" list, select "Built-in Menus".

4. In the "Commands:" list, locate "Work", and drag it to the menu bar at the top of the screen. (Click and hold the mouse button down on the Work menu, and drag it to the bar which has items such as "File", "Edit", etc. Once you have moved the mouse to the location where you would like to place the menu, let the mouse button up.)

5. Click "Close".

6. Next, for each document you would like to add to the Work menu, just click the Work menu and select "Add to Work Menu".

Hope this helps
    Last edited by mipendance; 2012-12-11 at 13:19. Reason: Sorry - just reread your post and saw you wanted the contents, not the Menu itself....

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi mipendance

Thanks for your post but I'm afraid the key word here is 'contents'! I still have my Work Menu, it's just the 9 or 10 file listings I've lost. I guess I could restore them manually (bit of a pain, especially getting them in the same order as before) but I was hoping someone might be able to tell me where this data is stored by Word so I can restore them simply from a backup file.

Any ideas (clearly not in normal.dot as I had thought)?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You did a search for the files, I am assuming. Did you search for their backups. If you go to Tools/Options/Save, do you have Save Autorecomvery...checked (for future files).

I'm sure you have done both those things.

Perhaps try a third-party program search program?

I am not familiar at all with Spybot, but does it create a log file? Did Spybot have any ideas for you? Perhaps they have a Forum where you can post this query...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again but it's not the word files I've lost. It's simply the entries on the Work menu. What I need to know is how/where Word saves this data. I thought it might be held in a settings file of some sort but perhaps the list is (was) in the registry...?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I believe the information is held in the registry. It gets a mention in http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/DataKeySettings.htm

S
    ince Spybot must be wiping this area in the registry, you may need to export the settings first and restore them after running Spybot.
    Last edited by Andrew Lockton; 2012-12-11 at 16:20.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks - that's just what I wanted to know. In view of this, rather than mess around with registry backups etc I simply did a system restore (to a couple of days ago) and voilą the work menu listings have returned. Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut perhaps, but it worked!

Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Victor Delta; 2012-12-11 at 18:29.